Lake Baptiste Fishing Mainly For Small/Large Mouth Advice?

Pali2

Hi all,

New member here. I'm going on a fishing trip with some family to Lake Baptiste in late August this summer. I was wondering if any of you have some advice for me? I'm relatively novice when it comes to angling, mostly using worms as bait since lures have never been very effective for me. However I would like to give lures a try, and they seem to be effective with the right techniques. I'll mostly be targeting large mouth bass and small mouth bass. I'll have a boat for some days, other days I'll be relying on a motor less aluminum boat and canoe. Super excited to have a nice little vacation on the lake!

Are there any lures for bass that you could suggest that would be good to get started on? I'll be there for a week, so some variety will be nice to have as I plan to get on the water as much as possible. Any techniques/strategy you can give would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

Mepps spinners. Rapala husky jerks and x-raps. Brown, green, white, grey tube jigs and grubs. Spend $100 on a variety of the mentioned baits and you will have a good start. Bass aren't super picky. Big ones are harder to catch consistently. I've never fished Baptiste but I imagine that working shoreline structure and the edges of weed beds would be your best bet for action. Good luck and have fun on your vacation.

Pound the shorelines and overhanging trees or fall downs along deeper water with a wacky rig or tube jig. Shallow areas you can use a soft plastic jerk bait to imitate a minnow. There are not a lot of weeds in the lake, but work them good when you find them.

Mepps spinners. Rapala husky jerks and x-raps. Brown, green, white, grey tube jigs and grubs. Spend $100 on a variety of the mentioned baits and you will have a good start. Bass aren't super picky. Big ones are harder to catch consistently. I've never fished Baptiste but I imagine that working shoreline structure and the edges of weed beds would be your best bet for action. Good luck and have fun on your vacation.

Thanks! That was the plan. Spend about $100-$150 to get started. Appreciate the tips!

Pound the shorelines and overhanging trees or fall downs along deeper water with a wacky rig or tube jig. Shallow areas you can use a soft plastic jerk bait to imitate a minnow. There are not a lot of weeds in the lake, but work them good when you find them.

Yeah, I heard it was quite rocky. Won't leave those weed beds once I find them haha. I'll have to pick up some soft plastic minnows too then! Thanks!

What part of the lake will be staying on? There is good pike fishing there too.

On the south side I believe. Somewhere close to the X on the map attached.

I've never targeted Pike, but would be interested in trying! I have no idea where to get started however. I've only caught one once by accident haha.

baptiste.PNG

Use a steel leader even when bass fishing baptiste. Lots of small pike.

White spinner bait around the stumps and logs, Small Zara spook for the shallow rock reefs, silver mepps #2 to cast the shore line and your set. 15-20lb line because you'll find lots of snags. I'll pm you a map that a guy named John Bacon sent me 16 years ago that got me going. Have a great time!

Use a steel leader even when bass fishing baptiste. Lots of small pike.

White spinner bait around the stumps and logs, Small Zara spook for the shallow rock reefs, silver mepps #2 to cast the shore line and your set. 15-20lb line because you'll find lots of snags. I'll pm you a map that a guy named John Bacon sent me 16 years ago that got me going. Have a great time!

Good to know about the leader...I'll have to get some of that then.

Thanks!

If you are new to fishing? Some training videos, youtube can be really helpful to a new angler.

Texas rigging a soft plastic lure, it works on worms, lizards, tubes, and others. They make rubber pegs to keep the weight from sliding or a round toothpick can be used. Adjust the weight and hook size to the size of the lure and water depth.

Carolina rigs

Jig and worm, better in areas with less weeds and junk, the hook is exposed and hookup percentages are better.

Jig and craw.

Tube with a tube jig insert.

On the south side I believe. Somewhere close to the X on the map attached.

I've never targeted Pike, but would be interested in trying! I have no idea where to get started however. I've only caught one once by accident haha.

Go around the point and head for the small narrows to the upper left of the X on your map. It's all faily shallow and weedy north that narrows. The water is pretty deep in your area.

If you are new to fishing? Some training videos, youtube can be really helpful to a new angler.

Texas rigging a soft plastic lure, it works on worms, lizards, tubes, and others. They make rubber pegs to keep the weight from sliding or a round toothpick can be used. Adjust the weight and hook size to the size of the lure and water depth.

Carolina rigs

Jig and worm, better in areas with less weeds and junk, the hook is exposed and hookup percentages are better.

Jig and craw.

Tube with a tube jig insert.

I'll check these out. Thank you!

Go around the point and head for the small narrows to the upper left of the X on your map. It's all faily shallow and weedy north that narrows. The water is pretty deep in your area.

That'll be my first place to start! Thanks for the advice!