Musky/Pike Combo

FishFinder

For strictly muskie/pike use - I would go with 80# braad. If you are mixing in bass fishng at all, go with 50# and use a coated wire leader for the toothy critters.

Abu makes a good reel and you can't go wrong with a shimano rod. I'm not up to speed on prices, but others may be...

I started with a Shimano Calcutta 251 paired with a Shimano Compre and 50lb Power Pro (the reel is most cetaintly over $200 in stores, but you may find one on ebay) It dosnt hold alot of heavy line, and its a fairly slow retrive, but it has met all my Kawartha fishign needs so far. Most will tell you you want bigger reel, but i fished happily for pike, musky (and tarpon!) and bass with it for the past 3-4 years. I now use a Quantum Cabo, that is much bigger the then Calcutta, and its spooled with about 280 yards of 65lb power Pro. I've been using 80lb fluro -10-15 inches for big pike this year (havnt been out for mushk yet in 2007)

I were to fish bigger musky waters I would use heavier leaders for sure.

Edited by mepps

A heavy action baitcasting rod (Shimano Compre) and a decent baitcaster (low profile and one that's on special) spooled with 50lb Power Pro should do the trick). That way, you can fish for bass, pike and the occasional muskie. Now if all you want to target is the big toothy critters, get a Pete Maina combo from BassPro. I know that they have some pretty good baitcasters on clearance for a hundred bucks or less.