Wolseye Bay help

hoops12

Hey guys,

Taking a group of buddies fishing to Wolseley Lodge over labor day weekend. We have a variety of anglers and non anglers and I'm looking for any tips or recommendations to help us get into fish. I'm sure the boys will be interested in catching pike, bass, and walleye. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

My understanding is that water levels are down a bit from previous years. Watch out for new shoals and rocks.

Harold at Wolseley Lodge will help you out as best he can, but the usual structure will still prove to be your best bet. Weed edges, shoals and rocks with deep water adjacent for Pike and Muskie. Weeds and weed pockets, rock humps and flats for walleye as well as current areas. If walleye fishing in weeds, don't be afraid to use heavier jig heads and rip them through the weeds.

Bass I can't help you with.

Just another word on the subject.

Please be advised that there are very large Muskies in the bay and the chances of hooking into one are definitely real.

I don't want to preach and I don't mean to sound like a Know It All, but please use care if you get one and take some extra time to make sure it swims away healthy.

Out of water for only a few seconds for the horizontal hold photo op.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks guys for all the great advise. Tom your not preaching at all. I'm avid angler and have caught and released my fair share of musky and know the importance of proper release. This group has been fishing together for 11 years and take fishing conservation seriously. Even the non fisherman!

Thanks again for the help

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Colin and I'm new to the board... greetings everyone!

I'm heading up to Fish tale Cabins ( right next to Wolseley Lodge) on September 14 - 16. trying to get a gage on how the fishing is up there.. With water levels low and such hot weather, what tactics do you recommend I use? It's my first time up there and want to be as productive as possible... How did the labor day fishing expedition go hoops 12 ( if you don't mind sharing) . Any help would be welcome on my quest to get my first Musky!!

I might try working current areas where the water is moving and creating a little more oxygen. Neck downs and river or creek mouths. I don't know what you are using for a boat, but Five Finger Rapids is about 4 or 5 miles from your camp location. Again, weed edges and shoals are your friend.

It's a large area with lots of structure. Trolling would also be on my list for the first few days until you figure it out.

Thanks for the pointers Tom, I'm running a 75 horse yamaha with a 70 pound thrust troll motor... How long do you think it would take me to get there with that kid of a motor?

also is there any depth maps I can get my hands on? I'm paranoid about banging up my prop?

CAUTION.......CAUTION......AND CAUTION.

There are NO depth charts for the bay. If you have GPS capability, you can get a Topographical Chart which will show you all the shore line and islands. Then carefully and slowly lay some trails down, marking structure and rocks with waypoints as you go. This you can do by trolling. Although you still need to be careful and watch your sonar for rapid rises. Be prepared to put your motor in neutral.

We have been going to Wolseley Bay (Totem Point Lodge) for about 7 or 8 years and have probably over two hundred way points entered in. Each year we find a new rock to add to the list.

As far as getting to the Rapids, with your set up and once your clear of the bridge and the marina and you know your way without running into a rock, maybe about 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour at 3/4 throttle.

I can not stress this enough... Your first time there, use extreme caution and pick your way around. It is a beautiful fishery and holds lots of walleye, Pike, Bass and some big Muskie

Good luck and save the big girls for us in a month...

Thanks for the pointers Tom, I'm running a 75 horse yamaha with a 70 pound thrust troll motor... How long do you think it would take me to get there with that kid of a motor?

also is there any depth maps I can get my hands on? I'm paranoid about banging up my prop?

I pulled a large pike out of the whirlpool area of 5 fingers and have seen musky in area. If I recall correctly, from Wolseley lodge out to five fingers, as long as you stay away from the shorelines, you should be fine. If water levels are down, extra caution should be used - especially if you are un-sure of the route. Five fingers is a popular spot, and there have been many times I went out there, only to find a couple boats already in the area. On the way out, just before you make the final left turn to go back towoards five fingers, there is a large rock sticking out of the water on your right. Going out, stay to the LEFT of this rock. There is a large shoal there on the right hand side and it comes a long way out from th shore. so be sure to stay out quite a ways. If you find the shoal I am talking about, cast it. , but be extremely careful, especially if the water is down - I trim my engine up, just in case when I am fishing it. . I've raised a few Muskies in that area. Good luck and let us know how you make out

That area is not mapped and no depth charts I am aware of. If you are staying at Wolseley long, Harold will give you a map. His gives you basic shoreline details, but still no depths. At least, he used to give one to his guests. Some years back, there was a musky fisherman from Ohio there when we were. Watched him land a 50 in the bay. He fished the bay all week, never left the bay itself, and boated about 6 or 7 muskies that week. All good,size too - so,you don't have to go far.

Rich

Edited by Rich Clemens

Sorry Cdog, I just retread your post and you're staying at Fish Tails. When coming down to go under the bridge, stay to you LEFT - opposite side of the Wolseley Lodge cabins, That's the deepest side. Then, after you go under the bridge on the way out - again, stay to the left. There is a large sand bar just off the public launch there at Wolseley Lodge, Seen many a bots get hung up on that bar. Stay towards the Totem Point side.

Thanks so much for warnings Tom... I think I'm going to cruise around with my troll motor for most of the first day and I have GPS capability so I will lay down weypoints as I go along. I've been looking at videos from the local guide there and am getting super stoked!!

Is there a closer rapid other then 5 fingers...maybe more accessible for a first timer?

I'm so hoping I can land a trophy!! Please Lord Please...!!!! lol

Thanks so much for warnings Tom... I think I'm going to cruise around with my troll motor for most of the first day and I have GPS capability so I will lay down weypoints as I go along. I've been looking at videos from the local guide there and am getting super stoked!!

Is there a closer rapid other then 5 fingers...maybe more accessible for a first timer?

I'm so hoping I can land a trophy!! Please Lord Please...!!!! lol

When you get to the end of Wolseley Bay, there will be an island right in front of you. You can go to the left or right. Go left for five fingers. Turn right and that heads down towards Crane's Lockhaben Wilderness Lodge. Right out from Cranes, there is another set of rapids. I have seen them, but have never fished there.

After making the right at this island, you can make basically a u turn and head down the North channel of the French River. A ways down, are more Rapids, but this will take a bit to get to the end. If you make the turn to head down the North Channel, be careful as you make the right to go down here. There is a shoal off the island there that does come out a ways. So, make a wide turn.

Thanks for the navigation Rich Clemens so much appreciated... I've been looking at videos on youtube of the area and totally know what youre talking about...

By the way.. apparently the guide up there is Andy Pappas... I watched the fishtv videos and theres a really good fly fishing video with Andy in it... good tips ...

I need all the help I can get!! lol

Thanks for the navigation Rich Clemens so much appreciated... I've been looking at videos on youtube of the area and totally know what youre talking about...

By the way.. apparently the guide up there is Andy Pappas... I watched the fishtv videos and theres a really good fly fishing video with Andy in it... good tips ...

I need all the help I can get!! lol[/quote

I'm pretty sure I've seen the same video. Never did the fly fishing thing, so I can only imagine what it would be like to catch a musky,that way. Good luck.

Never made the run to Chaudiere Dam but I understand it's a popular bass spot as are the rapids beside Crane's. But yeah, beware Elephant Rock and it's buddies when going to Five Fingers. This section of the French is absolutely loaded with prop killers. Be very carefully manoeuvring around pretty well most islands.