In Need of a New Reel - Info Request

LeafsFan

I have not purchased any new gear in quite a few years (at least 10 years), I am happy with my rods and reels for the most part, but after doing some reading I am thinking I need to obtain a baitrunner.

So I currently run a Pflueger President (unsure of the exact model) as my main reel, however it has taken a few dives into the lake due to some carp hitting and running faster than I was prepared for over the years, which has me thinking it is time for a baitrunner.

I can't find much useful information to assist me with my search for what I need. For the most part the reel will be used for carp, catfish, and potentially pike if my honey hole for chubs has some, then it will be all about floating a chub. I am looking for something with a large capacity for the spools. Depending on how it handles it could push the President aside if casting abilities are good for spinner baits.

I am looking for honest opinions on any models or brands, this question got posted on another forum with very little useful info provided.

Thanks in advance,

Just bought a pair of Shimano Baitrunner 4000 OC 's when SAIL had their 15% sale on. They are incredible. Think it worked out to be $163 each all in. I spooled them with 150 yards of 40lb braid - plenty of line capacity.

Edited by Fisherpete

Baitrunners definitely make things easier. You just have to remember to switch them on once you put them on the rod rest (which many people forget to do.LOL)

Hard to go wrong with Shimano when it comes to baitrunners. I have an old Shimano Baitrunner 4500B, Shimano Thunnus 6000 and Shimano LongCast and put them through extremely heavy use.

One other alternative to the baitrunner is to just back off the drag when the rod is on the holder. I did this for years with a 4000 Shimano Stradic when I was a kid.

I also use a Daiwa Windcast Z big-pit reel which doesn't have a baitrunner feature but it does have a quick drag feature. I can go from free-spool to almost total lock-down in less than a full turn of the drag knob.