Suggestions for a 2 bank charger (will not be on-board)

Raycaster

Will need a 2 bank charger this year for a Terrova 80 and thought I'd start looking early.

UN-fortunately there is 100% no way to get power to the dock/boat. (Generator/Extension cord/Solar options not possible).

So I will be hauling the 2 batteries out nightly and will probably make a easy carry cradle for them and a quick disconnect with Andersons...

Basically I'm asking for suggestions on chargers and if I should just purchase an on-board one anyways if a miracle happens at the dock in the future.

Almost zero chance of that happening but you never know, well I know, but I can dream...

Anyways, after some research the MK 220D looks like a good solution with 10A a bank, if I was to go with a on-board unit and just leave it in the cottage. I would certainly be happy spending less on a portable also.

I have a car battery charger http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-12-8-2a-0111518p.html#.VtdcDOZ3on4that I'm pretty impressed with so far and I could just purchase another and have a backup? Thinking that may not be the best idea...

Since the two batteries with be remain connected in series while charging I think a 2 bank charger may be best...

Thx ahead.

Edited by Raycaster

If there is a possibility of it being installed "On Board" at a later date, I would go with a good on board charger and leave it on the work bench in the garage. Pull the batteries at the end of the day and put them on a good fridge cart with 8 inch pneumatic tires to haul them up to the garage and plug them in.

If you get hydro to the dock on your wish list, you can install the charger at that time.

I've got an MK330 and it's at least 6-8 years old.

It is a heavy one so it isn't mounted in the boat. It has alligator clips instead of the circle rings so I just place it on the deck and hook it up at when I get home. Works well and would work the same for you if you are pulling them.

I don't think you will find many people complaining about a minnkota charger.

Steve, do you leave your batteries connected in series when you charge them with 2 separate chargers?

Just wondering if it causes the separate chargers any problems.

Taking them from the boat is solved with a nice anderson connector (suggested by forum members) but of course I would like to leave them connected in series to and from the cottage every day without having to remove the one jumper between the batteries enabling a series connection.

Here's a simple pic.

2ed8vlv.jpg

If you wish to leave them connected in series then I would suggest going with an on board charger designed for topping up and maintaining two batteries in series. This plugged in at your house or garage.

​What you are thinking of doing will work, just more labour intensive.

Again, if in the future you are able to get power to the dock, then you can install the onboard charger in your boat and save yourself a lot of work.

you know, I just leave the batteries connected in series.

I posted the question three or four years ago, when I bought my first 24v trolling motor. I had been disconnecting the batteries then charging. I cannot recall who exactly, but a couple folks on here posted that it wouldn't matter if I disconnected them, and I could just charge normally.

So that's what I've been doing for almost four years without issue.

I keep telling myself I'm going to install an onboard charger, but using this method has worked for so long I keep finding other things to spend my money on :)

you know, I just leave the batteries connected in series.

I posted the question three or four years ago, when I bought my first 24v trolling motor. I had been disconnecting the batteries then charging. I cannot recall who exactly, but a couple folks on here posted that it wouldn't matter if I disconnected them, and I could just charge normally.

So that's what I've been doing for almost four years without issue.

I keep telling myself I'm going to install an onboard charger, but using this method has worked for so long I keep finding other things to spend my money on :)

I agree. My lawn mower has had two 12 volt batteries connected in series for the last 10 years or so. I been been charging them one at a time with a 12 volt charger for most of those years and they still work.

Edited by JohnBacon

you can't just leave them in the boat, attach two chargers, one on each, and just leave the chargers connected?

then just run an extension cord (or two or three) from your power source to the boat?

That's what we do on my boat....chargers just stay attached to the batteries....I have 3 extension cords that I can connect from the cottage/house/whatever.

Saves ya from lugging the batteries to and from the power source.

(Will need a 2 bank charger this year for a Terrova 80 and thought I'd start looking early.

UN-fortunately there is 100% no way to get power to the dock/boat. (Generator/Extension cord/Solar options not possible).

So I will be hauling the 2 batteries out nightly and will probably make a easy carry cradle for them and a quick disconnect with Andersons...)

He has stated he can't get hydro to the boat, for some reason or another so what he has decided to do is labour intensive but doable.