Ice Fishing 6 mile Lake

Familyfisherman

Hey Folks,

We're heading to a friend's cottage for an overnight with the kids this weekend for Family Day.

We wondered about ice fishing on 6 mile lake? I've never fished it. I have a portable hut, lots of gear, etc, but I'm not even sure what might be best to target?

I've heard there's pike, wondering about crappie and walleye as well??

I likely won't have live bait, so just wondering about some general tips?

We'll have lots of kids with us, so hoping to keep them as busy as we can. I have lost of small jigs/plastics...I usually target whitefish and trout on Simcoe, but with the inconsistent ice this year I haven't even been out yet :(.

Anyways, glad for any direction...the cottage is off Big Rock Rd.

Thanks, have a good family day all!

Stay warm!

Kevin

The ice is not safe is some spots on 6-Mile.

Where is your friends cottage. If you give me the road name at least, I will be able to tell you where the unsafe ice is in the area.

Are you going to be walking? Depending on where the cottage is, I may be able to give you some starting points.

PM me the address if you'd prefer that.

I've been fishing 6-mile for 25 years.

Edited by N.A.W

All the usual panfish species for icefishing are present. Be very careful There is, as many mentioned, a lot of current. Some spots are never safe on that lake. Would hate to hear that someone else had died through the ice on Six Mile. I lost one friend there a long time back. They never recovered him til spring.

The ice is not safe is some spots on 6-Mile.

Where is your friends cottage. If you give me the road name at least, I will be able to tell you where the unsafe ice is in the area.

Are you going to be walking? Depending on where the cottage is, I may be able to give you some starting points.

PM me the address if you'd prefer that.

I've been fishing 6-mile for 25 years.

It's on Big Rock Road. We figured we'd fish out front and walk out with the kids...certainly appreciate the warnings...especially this year, I'm sure the ice is unpredictable...that's why we'd hoped to be fairly close to the bay they're on to stay close and out of current. Even panfish would be fun I think with the kids...:)

Edited by Familyfisherman

I just sent you a PM with a picture and a map.

And for the record, I would have passed by this post, had you not been my life insurance agent!

There are NO fish in 6-mile :whistling:

I have camped at the park and fished the lake while camping there, I've only ever fished soft water there but my advise for six mile is :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by DynamicBear