Upgrading wifi adapter in my Toshiba u840w ultrabook NF

adam lancia

We just upgraded to Rogers 100mbps internet and I'd like to get more than the 30mbps that our Netgear n600 puts through. Testing the new router with ookla, the 5g speed is there but it's absolutely worthless on 2.4g. The only device I have that doesn't have built-in 5g is my laptop so I'd like to upgrade the wifi adapter to a 5g unit. I assume it's doable but I want to know if I'm going to need to replace the antennas as well since they're paired up with a 2.4g-only adapter. Anyone have any input or advice? Thanks in advance!

You can install a USB WiFi adapter to upgrade.

Replacing the internal adapter is doable most likely (depends on if the manufacturer makes a dual band unit that is compatible).

One of these is your best bang for the buck.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ieee-802-11ac-wi-fi-adapter-for-desktop-computer/2890435.p?id=1219081254870&skuId=2890435

P.S. turn off the internal one so you don't get confused. ;)

It shouldn't matter if you're on the 2.4ghz band or the 5ghz band. I'm guessing your issue here is the router, not your laptop. Get a decent router like a Asus AC68U. It will make a big difference.

If he's in a high traffic area like an apt. building it makes a huge difference.

We have dual band radios @ the college because of this.

There is so much competition for 2.4ghz bandwidth that speeds are badly degraded.

Our building is the first 3 floors of a 10 story apt. building, plus we pick up many other AP's from the vicinity.

It shouldn't matter if you're on the 2.4ghz band or the 5ghz band. I'm guessing your issue here is the router, not your laptop. Get a decent router like a Asus AC68U. It will make a big difference.

While I kind of agree with you that it *could* be the router, I wouldn't know what to change in the routers settings. Not only that, but testing speeds on both bands with the same 2 devices that are dual band capable showed a massive speed difference through the Rogers router. I'd like to leave the 2.4ghz to my PS3 since it's furthest from the router. We're not in an apartment building so I don't think I'm getting competition from other networks in the immediate vicinity. Really, I just want to be able to exploit some of the speed I'm paying for. I realize I won't be able to take advantage of all of it since everything is running over wireless, however, considering that I'm able to access a faster connection through the router I already have with the addition of a $40 USB adapter rather than a $275 router, it's a no-brainer.

Edited by adam lancia

Switching over to 5Ghz might help, but I wouldn't count on it making a huge difference. It's possible though.

Are you using Rogers wireless router modem combo thing? Or the N600? The N600 has wireless N and therefore capable of 450Mbps.

Also, what antennas are you talking about? On your laptop??

My personal experience with WiFi problems were solved by upgrading my router. I was streaming HD movies using WiFi but it would cut out quite often. I upgraded my router and it fixed that problem. I have since dropped lines and have my TV/media PC hard wired. I am not a big fan of WiFi, although I have an Amazon FireStick and it actually streams over WiFi reasonably well.

I also just bought a WiFi booster to clear up a dead spot on the third floor of my house. Works great. That might be another option.

If you consider upgrading your router, I'd check out the ASUS RT-N66U. It's not wireless-AC, but you won't need the newest standard anyway. Although, the TP-Link Archer C7 is supposed to be a reasonably priced router with wireless-AC, so probably worth a look.

Edited by adempsey

If he's in a high traffic area like an apt. building it makes a huge difference.

We have dual band radios @ the college because of this.

There is so much competition for 2.4ghz bandwidth that speeds are badly degraded.

Our building is the first 3 floors of a 10 story apt. building, plus we pick up many other AP's from the vicinity.

It only makes a huge difference if everyone is trying to compete on the same channel. You've got 13 different channels in the 2.4ghz band you can play with. The band itself makes zero difference in speed (A speed increase is usually noticed because of less traffic, not because throughput is somehow better).. If the OP is on Rogers he needs to put his modem into gateway mode (So it's not acting as a router, only as internet access) and let his own router do the work. He can pick up a Asus N66u for $144CAD, that's a no brainer upgrade... Personally I'd go bigger (AC1900, or AC3200) but you've gotta pay to play.

my solution to wifi problems is wiring my house with ethernet.

anything that streams anything is wired.

i would try a router upgrade in OPs case.

Edited by Raf

It only makes a huge difference if everyone is trying to compete on the same channel. You've got 13 different channels in the 2.4ghz band you can play with. The band itself makes zero difference in speed (A speed increase is usually noticed because of less traffic, not because throughput is somehow better).. If the OP is on Rogers he needs to put his modem into gateway mode (So it's not acting as a router, only as internet access) and let his own router do the work. He can pick up a Asus N66u for $144CAD, that's a no brainer upgrade... Personally I'd go bigger (AC1900, or AC3200) but you've gotta pay to play.

And that is why I said if he is in a high traffic area such as an apartment building there will be a lot more traffic on 2.4 as opposed to 5 ghz. While you do have 13 channels there are other devices besides your wireless internet competing for those channels. Cordless phones, wireless game controllers and consoles etc.

This is what the average traffic looks like in my environment here.

We have 7 AP's on 3 floors. Notice the difference between our 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz radios? :D

Capture_zps79mjumr0.jpg

Switching over to 5Ghz might help, but I wouldn't count on it making a huge difference. It's possible though.

Are you using Rogers wireless router modem combo thing? Or the N600? The N600 has wireless N and therefore capable of 450Mbps.

Also, what antennas are you talking about? On your laptop??

My personal experience with WiFi problems were solved by upgrading my router. I was streaming HD movies using WiFi but it would cut out quite often. I upgraded my router and it fixed that problem. I have since dropped lines and have my TV/media PC hard wired. I am not a big fan of WiFi, although I have an Amazon FireStick and it actually streams over WiFi reasonably well.

I also just bought a WiFi booster to clear up a dead spot on the third floor of my house. Works great. That might be another option.

If you consider upgrading your router, I'd check out the ASUS RT-N66U. It's not wireless-AC, but you won't need the newest standard anyway. Although, the TP-Link Archer C7 is supposed to be a reasonably priced router with wireless-AC, so probably worth a look.

Yup, I'm using the Rogers-supplied router/modem combo. I was speaking about the antennas connected to the internal Wi-Fi card in my laptop.

I played with every single 2.4g channel last night, not one improved it's speed. I don't quite understand why I would buy a third router when one that I have works pretty well (N600) and the second one that I received for free works really well on 5g. If the fix for my laptop is as simple as buying a $40 5g adapter, which I'll be able to use on other laptops should I choose to, then I can't justify spending $100 over and above that to purchase another router, which I already have 2 of.

If it's the router and not a function of the 2.4g vs 5g bands, why does switching from 2.4g to 5g make such a huge difference? On both my tablet (Samsung Tab 4) and phone (S6), the 2.4g connection barely gets 1mbps download speed regardless of my proximity to the router. Yet, on 5g, download speed goes up to ~ 180mbps. Same device, same router, different band... The only 2 devices in the house which do not have a 5g connection option are my laptop and my PS3. Both of those are connected to my N600, the PS3 being 2 rooms and about 35 feet away from the router. I don't have any problem streaming Netflix or other video over that connection.

my solution to wifi problems is wiring my house with ethernet.

anything that streams anything is wired.

i would try a router upgrade in OPs case.

This isn't a viable solution as we are renting the house, we don't own it.

I hope I don't come across as confrontational about this, I really do appreciate the input and feedback, especially since I don't have near the experience or background compared to nearly all of you. I'm going to be picking up a 5g adapter and testing that out. If for some reason that doesn't help, I'll be back, LOL!

Why are you running 2 routers in the first place? You should be placing the Rogers router in gateway mode and only running DHCP/NAT from a single router. I'm guessing that's the source of your issues.

Edited by BillM

Why are you running 2 routers in the first place? You should be placing the Rogers router in gateway mode and only running DHCP/NAT from a single router. I'm guessing that's the source of your issues.

The tenants in the basement are using the N600. We were both sharing the N600 until we had Rogers installed though.

The tenants in the basement are using the N600. We were both sharing the N600 until we had Rogers installed though.

If you don't have access to the other router, I think you're stuck with the 5g adapter. I'm guessing both those routers are competing with each other on the 2.4ghz band, which is resulting in your awful speeds.

Please clear up the infrastructure details. Starting with the modem, then to any router(s) and the connection type (wired vs wireless).

What I am gathering is you have the rogers modem which is connecting to two N600s (one for the downstairs and one up?)? Which router is handing out IPs (DHCP) or is the modem handing out IPs and DHCP is disabled on the routers?

Please clear up the infrastructure details. Starting with the modem, then to any router(s) and the connection type (wired vs wireless).

What I am gathering is you have the rogers modem which is connecting to two N600s (one for the downstairs and one up?)? Which router is handing out IPs (DHCP) or is the modem handing out IPs and DHCP is disabled on the routers?

I'll do my best.

The Rogers modem/router is first in line. I have the N600 hooked up to that with an ethernet cable. There is only 1 N600 in the house, which is on the main floor that that downstairs tenants are using. We are using it as well, but only for 2 devices (PS3 and my laptop). I'm afraid you lost me on your last question though, I don't fully understand what you're asking me.

This got confusing really fast. I don't understand how you can only have 1 mbps on 2.4Ghz but 180 mbps on 5Ghz. How are you measuring speed anyway? Mbps (megabits per second) is a silly unit used by ISPs that makes no practical sense at all. Megabytes per second makes way more sense.

When you go to choose a WifI network, what are your options? Do you see the Rogers router and your N600??

I'll do my best.

The Rogers modem/router is first in line. I have the N600 hooked up to that with an ethernet cable. There is only 1 N600 in the house, which is on the main floor that that downstairs tenants are using. We are using it as well, but only for 2 devices (PS3 and my laptop). I'm afraid you lost me on your last question though, I don't fully understand what you're asking me.

As a first step I would make sure that all routing / wifi is disabled on the rogers unit and allow the N600 to handle all that. I think someone alluded to it earlier, you want the rogers modem/router 'bridged' to the router so that the rogers unit is just a modem.

I don't know if this is the model of Rogers modem/router you have but here are some instructions.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/247?setLanguage=en

after that make sure the n600 is plugged in (wired) from the lan port on the modem/router to the wan port on the n600 and that DHCP is turned on on the n600.

You should now only see two connections in WIFI one for 2.4 and one for 5

Edited by Raf

This got confusing really fast. I don't understand how you can only have 1 mbps on 2.4Ghz but 180 mbps on 5Ghz. How are you measuring speed anyway? Mbps (megabits per second) is a silly unit used by ISPs that makes no practical sense at all. Megabytes per second makes way more sense.

When you go to choose a WifI network, what are your options? Do you see the Rogers router and your N600??

Sorry for the confusion. I'm using speedtest.net to compare speed.

On my devices which have both band options, both the Rogers modem/router and the N600 show two networks each, for a total of 4. My laptop only sees 2, one from each the Rogers modem/router and one from the N600.

So you're double NAT'ing all the traffic that's running through the N600? (Rogers modem give an IP to the N600, N600 gives an IP to all it's clients)

You need this cleaned up, it sounds like a mess.

Edited by BillM