Scary Moment - In an instant

AKRISONER

My cousin had something similar happen on GBay - little tinny, with him and friend. Driving into the wind, hit a wave which forced the bow up - and the wind blew it over. Little boat might be ok in and around Honey Harbor - but won't catch me on anything small out in the Bay.

Glad everyone is ok.

the tinner is really really stable when gear is in it...ive had one close call running it close to empty by myself into a wind storm. I pulled a big catwalk and nearly flipped it over backwards in late november...that one was scary.

But as far as taking on waves when its full of gear, ive never had much of an issue, she is generally very very stable as far as tinners go. Its just when you get too comfortable and both dont think to not reach over teh side of the boat at the same time in those waves that you run into trouble. Lesson learned for sure!

A long time ago when the Bay of Quinte still had fish in the shallows of Mohawk Bay, my buddy and I spotted something bobbing in the water.. turns out a small tinny turned over with 4 adults and one kid. The fishing method was to drift and pick up fish off the bottom but the problem that day was the waves were bad, especially for a 12 foot boat. We managed to get 3 in my boat and 2 in another we flagged down. Only the kid had a life jacket on!! His dad was clinging to the overturned boat exhausted and the other guys were nearby.. I brought the 3 into the back of the boat to prevent us from suffering the same fate .. it can happen in an instant..