Trouting in late afternoon

Danubian

Hello everyone!

I just spent 2 of my most glorious hours of the season: trouting the Credit.

The weather was perfect - a bit of a chill, and felt brutal for "wet wading" - and the water

swarming with fish. Little trout, mostly... I guess they are little steelhead, but I'm not sure. (Wonder where their older brothers might be.)

[Drumroll...]

Two or three skinny dudes like this one, in the first 10 minutes:

126425.JPG

Then three to four missed hits, and then nothing.

Time to move on and admire the scenery...

126426.JPG

Changed the spot, but some guys were fishing in my favorite, so I kept on going, back and forth.

Tried some "wet wading" - COLD! - but worth a tiny dude:

126427.JPG

Moved again. Meanwhile the guys I met before have left, so let's give it a try.

Wham! Lots of hits - pretty much 3 to 1 - lots of pictures, but kind of out of focus, and most of them dudes quite tiny.

One in beter focus:

126429.JPG

(The poor dude was bleeding a bit, altgough it was just the lip pierced.)

This one is the largest, about 100 times smaller than my carp, but such a "prrrecious":

126430.JPG

A little trail walk and a bath of fragrance:

126431.JPG

All the fish were released quickly to [relative] safety. I was a little concerned about the one bleeding, but he took off quite fast once released. (Others were playing dead for a minute or so.)

I lost the count at some moment, but I think I landed about a dozen, lost and equal amount, and got about 30 or 40 hits.

BTW: Does anyone know what are the wild flowers from my pictures?

The yellow ones look like some sort of trillium's cousin, but don't have any idea about the purple ones. They smell like violets, but they're much taller.

The pictures are a bit unfocused and for the close-ups I shouldn't have set the flash, but I wasn't sure if the light was enough. Still learning...

Danubian

Edited by Danubian

This is a great report!! Bly and I like to hit our local trib to catch exactly the sized fish you got! It's a lot of fun...in an uncrowded trib...listening to nature, the water and watching your float go down. Ahhh...gotta hit a trib again soon.

Thank you every one for your kind replies!

Here are some more pictures, this time without the flash.

Two little ones:

126477.JPG

126478.JPG

I found intriguing how the pattern on the Panther Martin looks so much alike the trout's

pattern - and that's the one that produced most hits. Cannibalism? Quite possible.

And a snaping turtle - looks like a creature from another world:

126479.JPG

if thats the Upper Credit, please make sure your using single barbless hooks to not harm the little guys, and it in the regs.

Other than that nice smolts

No, it's not the Upper Credit, but I'll try to get rid of the treble hooks anyway.

Most of the fish were just superficially stung, but a very few others got some bleeding, which concerned me a bit, so I'm trying to replace the treble hooks with singles.

The only problem is that I'm not sure where I could find some very small rings to attach the hook to the spinner's shaft (Panther Martins).

Any alternative ideas of how to attach the hook? I could tie it in with some stronger monofilament, but it's gonna be hard to do so.

Thanks!

Danubian

Edited by Danubian