Bass opener lake erie wind forecast

bawbag

I usually fish the long point bay derby every opener but this strong east wind forecast there is no way. The boat traffic is bad enough on a good day never mind high winds, waves and possibly rain. No bumper boats for me.

Im wondering if the crystal beach/ fort erie area will be fishable or should I write off erie all together?

The Crystal Beach launch can be a real poop show. If you get there really early, you are ok. My experience on Erie in east winds is rather poor. Really struggled to catch fish. On the up side, Burdie Bay could be out of the wind. That's the bay to the right of the launch with all the boats anchored. A few years back, my buddy and I crushed them in there all morning. Of course, the forecast could change again. You really don't know until you wake up and look out the window.

Believe it or not the mud line is not bad, here and west of the point where we were at Pt. Bruce today. Plenty of deadheads though. Quite a few docks got wiped out locally.

The wind reports for Saturday are not as bad as they were predicting yesterday. Gusts of only 79KPH down from gusts of 90KPH. Does anyone really think that the fishing next week when the lake winds will diminish by Wednesday won't be as good because it is opening day? Why anyone would even think about going out in this lake when there are even only 1 meter waves and 30KPH winds is beyond me. Please wait.

For those crazy enough I can tell you the Bass just left the beds last weekend. This storm we had this past week plus the post spawn lock jaw and the gale force winds predicted starting tomorrow will not help matters.

windfinder.com or sailflow.com is your friend here on Erie. Believe them. Environment Canada has a severe weather warning out for the rest of the week and beyond, maybe believe them.

I've fished the river and the sections exposed to the east wind will be very choppy. With this high wind forecast that chop may look like waves. I fished a tourny last year and by the end of the day I felt like I was on the lake. Never saw waves that big in the river. So I can get nasty. The other option is if you have US licence is to fish the protected shoreline or marines on the NY side. Be safe.

The Canadian side of the Upper can be tough to fish during a stiff east wind. It's not really the waves necessarily, it's the lack of boat control. You get pushed all over the place with a north current and cross winds. Like LD17 said, the U.S. side has lots of great water that will be sheltered.

LD17, if you've never seen waves like that on a river, you should see it with strong North winds. Incredible. I've gone out off Chippewa and there has been 4-5 footers rolling straight down the river.

The Long Point Bass Derby has been cancelled. There are gale force winds predicted and a severe Environment Canada Marine weather warning for the north shore of Erie from Fort Erie to Winsor. I am sorry but anyone that insists on disregarding severe weather warnings from Environment Canada is an idiot. Gusts to 90KPH for Long Point as well as here at the eastern end.

If anyone crazy enough to show up when he wind is blowing like it's a rerun of the Wizard of Oz deserves to be disappointed. Want to bet some young bucks and old bucks too brave the winds? I would never wish anyone be harmed but a good dunking in 60 degree water might wake them up.