goderich area fishing with family

huzzsaba

Planning a camping trip in 2 weeks at Point farms PP in goderich and want to spend some time fishing with the family. I know the North Harbour is pretty restricted due to Sifto. Looking for some place where the family would be comfortable whether on the river or pier. Will be out there on a Thursday so hoping there is not much of a crowd. Of course hoping for any fish that is in season and just some family time with decent fishing.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

Actually the restrictions at Sifto are a lot less than they used to be... You can fish off the rocks just drive through the gates park along the rocks and have at it. Also you can park along in front of mine by the inner harbor (if you can find a spot that the miners haven't taken) and walk out to the end of the North pier IF there is no ship in harbour to try for perch. If there is a ship in port then the North pier is off limits, or so the town council said in an email I got from them last year. The mine did however start a pier resurfacing project early last year making that more difficult, your mileage may vary...

The south pier is fair game though with no restrictions that I know of unless they started some new construction project I haven't heard of yet. I was hoping to get up there this week and find out what is going on but the weather and work have kept me from getting there yet.

In Bayfield the South pier is fully accessible but the North Pier is restricted because the marina having the right of way to it closed off to non members.

Also the north pier is expected to be repaired next year sometime. Which is good, but I find it sad we have to spend tax dollars to do it only to be refused public access during the times there is even one boat in the "private" marina.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I cant give you info for Goderich. But I grew up In wingham, and basically learned how to fish on the Maitland.

if you could rent canoe for a day, and have wifey drop you and the kids off way up river. There's lots of bass and even some pike in the river.

Maybe a run from Ben Miller in to Goderich??

Just a thought. It would be a day trip.

Ben Miller is a blast on it's own. A little gem of a place.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going before bass season and though of going to the river, but based on what I see at the local rivers, there are definitely bass in there which I would like to stay away from until the season opens.

I think the pier would a better option for variety of In season fish.

I am not set on Point Farms PP yet as I would like to see inverhuron PP as well which is an hour north of Goderich, and I believe the pier on the Saugeen is an option as well, although I have never been there.

BTW what is ben miller? is it the inn?

Edited by huzzsaba

the more I look, it seems like the most peaceful and accessible place is the pier in port elgin where the Saugeen river connects. Looks like there is a lighthouse there so the kids should have fun. If there any reason Is should avoid this place, let me know. Looks like I will be camping out at inverhuron PP.

Thanks.

Last year they were catching drop backs well into June. The bass this year are really craving worms though from what I hear?

we usually catch dropbacks well into june on the niner,maitland and bayfield and usually no one else around fishing ,worms and stoneflys are the ticket

Sorry but this whole thing about the north pier south pier is confusing lol but Ie figured it out. Now where is this steel wall lol? is it the right side of the north pier facing the river?

Edited by huzzsaba

BTW what is ben miller? is it the inn?

Benmiller is a completely awesome set of water falls on the Maitland which are fantastic for swimming. I used to go there as a child during summer camps. You can slide down the smooth rocks in the rapids, walk under the waterfalls, even jump in to the rapids in some spots. If the water levels haven't gone down to much. I haven't been there in 15 years.

There's an Inn, and a campsite. All with in a short walk to the falls.

It's a great place.

Awesome! Thanks!

If you go to fish the steel wall. You will need

1) A very long handled net. Or be willing to walk along way down to where you can beach the fish...

2) A lot of tackle even if you are float fishing. Many a snag through that section.