Hazards of the sun while fishing

misfish

I've got a lot of bad habits in life, but exposing myself to the sun isn't one of them. Being fair skinned and red headed, I can get a nasty burn in about 10 minutes. I always wear long sleeved shirts, full legged pants, socks and shoes and even a hood if the sun is really bad. I even used to wear gloves before sunscreen came along. I'd rather sweat than burn, and I can't stand putting any kind of lotion on myself. I'd rather burn to death than slather any type of lotion on me. Weird, huh? But it works for me.

I guess I'm lucky I don't burn. I just tan or look like a cooked lobster at the end of the day without protection. Even so I take sun protection very seriously. The sunscreen that Kevin posted (Ombrelle) is my favourite in 30-45. It's light enough that you don't even know you're wearing it. I apply it to all exposed areas (feet included).

I also wear light long-sleeved breathable shirts I picked up at MEC for around $20, a hat with flaps made by Eddie Bauer and a set polarized glasses for eye protection.

DSC_1199.jpg

Whatever keeps you fishing longer can't be a bad thing.

I had my sunscreen with me just put it on a little too late. My burn wasn't too bad but enough of a reminder not to do it again, until the next time. :rolleyes: I've been pretty good this year in putting it on before I leave the house. Now I know why, once your out on the water your mind is on other things. :Gonefishing: Speedy recovery to all!