EWWW Carp

Alright well I have NEVER fished or had the urge to fish for carp but since I live right near teh skyway and cootes and hamilton harbour, I figured what the heck... SO my questions are what should I use... I tied up some hair rigs and was wondering if I should use canned corn or boilies... as well how much of the bait should I toss in the water to attract the carp. Lastly where are some good choices within about 40 mins of burlington so either burlington or hamilton... PM or post on here if you can help out... If someone wants to go out I may jut be able to meet ya depending on my plans for tomorrow and wed as those are the only two possible days I could have... I would be heading out at about 330 and will fish for a couple hrs... hope someone bites ;)

Bill

hey bill.

if you are fishing the hammy, it wouldn't be a good idea to use canned corn with all the gobies in the water ... they would strip the soft corn off your hook. I have never tried the store-bought bollies but they seem to work for cliff (ccmt). IMO it would be quite costly to chum out bollies since you'll need alot of it, you're probably better off buying 2-3 cans of canned corn and use that as chum. the gobies will still end up eating some of but at least your hookbait would be safe and it would be the easiest solution given that you're planning on going out tomorrow.

Each time you chum, about 1/3 to half a can of corn would do it ... and repeat every half an hour or so to keep them in the area. It was quite difficult for me to throw out the canned corn with my bare hands back then ... if you don't have any equipment, try to find a small gardening shovel and it helps alittle bit in terms of distance. Try to cast your hookbait to the chum pile and hang on to your rod / set the drag to very loose.

i can't really help in terms of location for that area as i've only fished it once ... but i'm sure there are a few OFC carpers from that area who can help you out ... with the haig rig, you should be all set ... good sized fish come out of hammy on a regularly basis so just make sure u stay close to your rod

Good luck and if you got more questions let us know.

If I had to choose between canned corn or boilies as a hook bait, I'd choose boilies (at least for Hamilton harbour). The gobies down there will drive you nuts with canned corn. If you can get a hold of feed-corn (aka maize or cattle corn) that would be even better to chum with (cheaper too).

As far as chumming amount goes...Little and often is what I do - Others chum lots and still get into fish (more akin to fishing where there are hundreds of large hungry carp in a single pod - St. Lawrence). A few handfuls (Or slingshots, spods, baiting spoons) worth of corn every 20-30min should suffice. If they're really having it, increase the amount and frequency. Just remember: If you throw 10lbs of bait into the swim all at once, the fish will have to sift through a heck of a lot of bait before it reaches your hook. There's also the fact that if fish aren't interested or only a few fish are present, you can't take bait out. With less bait out in the swim, you can promote a competitive feeding behaviour amongst the fish - when fish are competitive for food, they often make more mistakes and spend less time analyzing the trap you've set. Chumming amount is all variable from location to location...If you fish the water enough, you'll get a feel for the numbers and size of fish present in a given area.

Not overly familiar with that particular location so can't help you with spots.

Hope this helps

Definately not converting yet... just wanna try so I can say I did it and cant stand them ugly buggers :P

With increasing temps from global warming, threats from urbanization and the overall degradation of our environment, carp may be the only fish left standing. Better get used to them quick.

Fished near the skyway 3 times last week and not a bump from the carp, you can see them swimming on the shorelines jumping and splashing but not intrested in feeding. If your heading out thier good luck!! I used canned corn and this special corn I bought at Bills that stays on your hook longer and it's harder for the carp to suck off. But most of the people that fish down thier use thier own mix of ingredients. Might wana chat with Photoz or uncle buck