Install Side Scan Sonar - LSS 1

hutch4113

Purchased a LSS1 from a board member last year - and going to install it this year. Wondering if anyone has done this, and can provide some assistance, as I want to do it right.

My biggest concern is how to mount on the transom - Aluminum. I don't really like the idea of drilling into the hull - figured there is probably a better way. The 2nd aspect is where I put it in relation to the current transducer.

At any rate - and pointers, pictures, etc. would be helpful. I will continue to search.

Thanks everyone (and if there is already a post out there, point me in that direction as well. I did a search but nothing relevant seemed to appear).

Dont pay extra for a sternmate. Just pick up a transducer mounting board which is starboard. And some 3m 5200.

For example, berts tackle makes one cut to size. 1/2 inch thick will do, maybe get 3/4" for piece of mind. 12"x4x3/4 is the dimension i cut mine out to.

Only thing with berts is that their are two holes for screws predrilled for the transom. Thats up to you if you want to go that route. Ive put 3m on marine wood as a board and my friend has it on starboard, no issues. But technically, only with a much more expensive glue, is starboard fully bonded to your transom but i have never seen anyone to date pry it off or it come off on its own.

Regular lowrance transducer should be level in relation to the transom with half, the line going around the skimmer transducer being under the hull. The lss transducer should be fully above the hull, so 1/4" while being within a foot of the skimmer. I have mine mounted starboard side, so the structure scan transducer is mounted the left (sitting lower) because if done the opposite, the image will be blocked by the other transducer. Also if your hull is riveted, keep it away from the line or the edge or close to anything that will cause bubbles. Since this is the only way to mount them on deep v's, you may have to trim up a bit to get a good reading for the opposite side which is ok since down and side scan work best while moving slower.

I do have a picture of my setup somewhere, have to find it.

Edited by dan668

dans got the answer the transducer will need to be mounted so there is no turbulence if you want any kind of high speed reading. The lss-1 is not a high speed transducer and it can be put deeper. I have the set up on a twin screw 28ft boat so the mounting I can not help you with.

Art