bancroft area?

dougliano

Hi folks

My family is renting out a cottage on a small lake outside of Bancroft. I know I'm in the middle of some solid fishing grounds, but i've never fished the area. What are my prospects within an hour's drive? I'm more of a pike/muskie guy, but I'm also up for lakers or 'eyes if they're available.

Cheers

Baptiste has both pike and muskie. I haven't fished Bird Lake (just outside of Birds Creek) for about 10 or 12 years; but it had plenty of pike when I did fish it.

There is an MNR office in Bancroft, they should be able to provide a list of stocked lakes, there are many lakes in the area that are stocked with trout.

I don't believe that walleye are very plentiful in the area. Although both Baptiste and Elephant do have some. There are also plenty of bass lakes if you are interested.

Baptiste and Elephant have a good muskie population. Not many lakes in that area with muskie. If you want to go over to Haliburton there are several lakes that have muskie. Both Elephant and Baptiste are loaded with small pike with some over 40 inches. You you are also in a top rockhound area. Many, many minerals and gems found around Bancroft. The Faraday mines produced uranium but have been closed for years.

Dr. Phil gave you two good suggestions for both muskies and pike same two as I would have suggested. Also the York river can produce some great pike as well. Almost all of the lakes have a good bass population in that area.