Backing for lead core line

davey buoy

I purchased a new Okuma Magda Pro MA 45DX from a well known member here.I have 100 yards of 27lb lead core line to put on.Would like to know what backing I should use and how much as the spool is quite a big size.It is paired with a Fire Wolf 9' rigger rod.The lead core looks fairly thick in the Pkg.For example it says on the reel 330yds of 30lb line.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Dave.

Thanks guys for the info so far. Two out of three mention braid.How do you stop it from slipping ?.I have a lot of 15 lb mono.Is that to light and how often would you get into your backing with 100 yards of lead core plus fluro leader.?

Edited by davey buoy

Dave - the only fish that is going to take you that far into the backing is a king. And if you are fishing for kings, be mindful that fleas on Lake O in the heat of the summer can make a real mess of braid, unless you are using something like powerpro. I have a couple leadcore set ups with mono backing and they work fine. 15 lb might be a little light though - I am using 30 lb big game. be sure of the knot between the backing and the core as well. Are you savvy with Microsoft Excel by chance? I have a nifty spreadsheet that will calculate the maximum capacity of any reel based on what you want to fill it with I can email you. The nice thing about this is you can use it for any combination you want to set up.

With this weather today, its got me thinking about checking all the reels too -A week of weather like this and I'll be looking for some Lake O opportunities.

Dave - the only fish that is going to take you that far into the backing is a king. And if you are fishing for kings, be mindful that fleas on Lake O in the heat of the summer can make a real mess of braid, unless you are using something like powerpro. I have a couple leadcore set ups with mono backing and they work fine. 15 lb might be a little light though - I am using 30 lb big game. be sure of the knot between the backing and the core as well. Are you savvy with Microsoft Excel by chance? I have a nifty spreadsheet that will calculate the maximum capacity of any reel based on what you want to fill it with I can email you. The nice thing about this is you can use it for any combination you want to set up.

With this weather today, its got me thinking about checking all the reels too -A week of weather like this and I'll be looking for some Lake O opportunities.

Thanks Rick for your input.What knot would you suggest to join braid or mono to lead core?

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/willis-knot

use a sharp blade to cut both the core and the mono,

edited - sorry - use the Willis for core to leader -

I use the double uni

http://fishwrecked.com/files/images/fishyink%20double%20uni%20knot.jpg

for backing to core. some people use a very small swivel. Cut the lead out eaither way.

Edited by spincast

Mono backing, 30 pound I think, break 2-3 inches of the lead off leaving it hollow. Insert the mono into the sheathing up the lead and crazy glue it. Been doing that since I first started using leadcore and it has never let go. (Thanks to Headhunter for this tip) Walleye to kings have not broken the joint. it's simple to do and the water fleas have not been an issue with the heavier mono. They may not be a problem with the braid either but can't personally say. I know the fleas hate the leadcore and don't grab on from my experiences with using it. OI always have at least one leadcore line out in the summer.