Lake Joe 03/01/15

ckewley

Many moons ago on another forum I had gained a few spots on this lake but it wasn't until this past weekend that I went to try them out. I had worried about if the access was still there, the nice lady at the township office gave me the thumbs up so off we go. You couldn't ask for better weather, the morning saw -19 but by 11am or so you could almost run without a jacket. We walked out maybe a mile (roughly) & punched a hole on a shelf about 20fow, Bain set up his tip up & we walked out to deeper water. Bain punched his next hole in about 85 fow & I set up at 93 a few yards away.

2015-03-01%2008.43.39_zpstnhz12ms.jpg

Bain started marking fish pretty much from the get go & armed with a white tube started jigging. Wasn't long before he had one give chase & bumped it up near the 20ft mark but no dice. I on the other hand wasn't marking a thing, almost to the point I though my scanner was messed up. Finally a few did a drive by which solved the argument, I had switched lures a few times trying to call in something but in the end it was the minnows that did the trick. Didn't mark the time but it was around 10:30 or so when things started to heat up, marking fish every 4-5min all through the column & then my first of the day was on-line.

IMG_20150301_123231501_HDR_zpspxrjnknn.j

Not a big guy by any stretch but hella fun. In great Maritime tradition the fist to catch must lick the fish before sending it back (just kidding ) Now it wasn't long before Bain was on the board with another small guy but at least we were catching the targeted species.

IMG_20150301_115957486_zpsbkvlu05p.jpg

Aside from my dumb thumb it was all smiles. Some time had passed & while we were still marking fish not many took interest. I started playing the column but my scanner with such a small minnow on was hard to see at 93ft so I found myself over/under shooting most of the time. That is until this guy B-lined my bait.

IMG_20150301_113823598_zpsnxrmfcll.jpg

Definitely a bigger fight in this guy............ but hey I'm sitting at 2 now. It was around this time when Bain had a case of rubber hooks. Rod goes down, Bain runs like a mad man, sets the hook, 2 seconds pass &....GONE. Drops it back down, feels the nibbling, BANG pulls the trigger & 2 seconds pass....GONE!!! NOW if any of you have seen Clark Griswolds rant in Christmas Vacation here it was being spoken in Cantonese, Bain had to take a nap afterwards....

2015-03-01%2012.54.34_zpsgbqgblnq.jpg

Not long after I marked a slightly bigger fish & she was on the ice a short time after that & Bain got into his second

IMG_20150301_131815641_zpselcsevc4.jpg

IMG_20150301_134312932_zpsykba5lzl.jpg

All in all a awesome day even if the fish were on the small side, Lake Joe has cast a nice spell over us & we'll return for sure.

Damn! I wish I could have made it out with you guys.

Good weather and 2 lines per guy, with some set lines spread around is a blast when you're running after tip- ups

Good read, I'm envious.

Where's the usual antifreeze picture?

I was living up to my moniker this trip. Fell asleep a couple of times on the bucket. But Chris kept waking me up with "Bain, Fish!" I even tried sleeping lying down snow angel style. It was good under the sun.

I swear the ones that got off my hooks went right over to Chris' hole. He would bring them up once I had donated my minnows as appetizers.

Sleepjigging