New rod and reel and a nice Rainbow!

muskymatt

Did the double lake outing today. Rainbows in the morning, Walleye at dusk!

Got 9 Rainbows but only one keeper, the action was steady but only little ones were biting for the most part.

Picked up a Fenwick ice rod, med-heavy and put a Rapala R-Type on it with 6lb ice line. Worked like a charm!

10942334_382493015263090_8957765247769457766_n.jpg

2nd lake was walleye, got 3 smaller ones during the day and surprisingly the night bite was non existent. Never had that spot not have a really insane night bite before, wonder why!

Was also the first run on a skidoo I picked up, a 470 BRP Safari, 1992 but in excellent shape. Good enough to get me in to the back lakes and out again. Pretty much all I will be using it for.

Nice day out except for the rain that started around 1:30 and lasted for about 4 hrs. Going to have a frozen solid Frabill hut in the morning :wallbash:

Good job! What were you using for the rainbows? I'm always curious since my winter success has been limited for them...

That sounds like a nice sled. Those 470 liquids were really fast motors, could wipe the floor with 500 and 550 fanners, lets see a pic! I just got my 90 Safari 377 rebuilt, love it!

For rainbows on this particular lake I was using a bait hook, small not sure which size with a 2'-2.5" red dace minnow. I have a splitshot about 12" above the minnow which is hooked parallel to the spinal cord mid way on the back. I also use a white scented micro jig which works well.