almost first lake trout - lessons learned

sleepjigging

After watching a couple of videos on how to catch lake trout on ice, by John Whyte of LSMB and FishFnatic

I gave it a go on KBay. Navionics App to guide the way. Started the morning at -16C, 20km/h winds. No tent, so we can stay mobile. Sat on a bucket sometimes. Everything else including the sonar stayed in the Pelican sled. 6" Fin-bor III cuts like a dream. About 30 rotations to go through 8" of clear black ice.

Fluorocarbon line 8lb EZfluoro. There was some ice build up, but broke it off using my scoop once in a while. Small snap swivel. 2.5" white tube. 2.5' ice rod with very large guides (1/2" 1st guide), so ice was easily removed. $10 reel - walmart special. Old Humminbird Piranhamax black and white sonar was able to see the jig at 100'+. Ran the tube up and down countless times. No fish after 15 minutes, move. Finally at 103FOW, a mark appeared at 58'. Reeled up. No following, and the mark dissappeared. Drop it down again, and mark reappeared at 58'. Reeled up again and it followed. Then there was weight on the line.

I was wearing mitten to keep hands warm. Got the reverse on the reel flipped, but I noticed that. Click the reverse and tried to set the hook. Drag too loose. The weight did not seem to be there anymore. Reel a little and there was some weight. Set the hook again. Drag too loose. Finger the reel and set the hook. The weight was still there. Head shake too. Fight the fish. Drag too loose. I was too excited to think straight. I shout to my friend to come help me. Fight the fish. Tighten drag a little. Get the fish to the hole. See it circle. See the white of its belly. See it circle some more. Then the head came up the hole with a little help from my friend. The fish head took up 5" of the 6" hole.

There was the white tube right in front of its pecker. A quick head shake and it cut the line clean. Fish and tube and snap went back down the hole. My friend heroically dove in armpit deep trying to grab it. GONE.

He wore a floatsuit jacket that had a cuff, and his arm stayed dry. Only the cuff and his hand got wet. He fished the rest of the day no problem.

Here's my question: what else could I have done to land this fish?

It was EPIC for me. I have been trying to get one for 2 years. Sorry Team 3, I was close. I even had the sign in my sled.

Sleepjigging

That was an intense story lol... If you can keep getting them to bite, no need to change, maybe luck will be on your side next time you bring er up the hole!By the sounds of it Team 3 should have a big laker on the board soon ;)