Deep cycle recommendations and manual downriggers...

ilario

Hey folks,

so the 'new' boat is coming along nicely..still need a few things such as hitch on my car (hopefully today) and I also need a deep cycle battery (so i've been told) to run the trolling motor (Endura 38lb). CTC sells their brand for about $100 (160 min resrve). How does this work? You use it all day or a couple of days then simply recharge it? Do I need a recharger as well? How oftne must you recharge it? After each use, i'm assuming...

As well, I'd like to get a small manual downrigger (an older, mountable Big Jon came with the package) - either the clamp on variety or the step up where you actually mount it on...what would you recommend between the brands? CTC sells the Scotty clamp on for about $90 and bass pro has the Cannon clamp on for the same price.. I won't be doing a huge amount of salmon trolling - it's just for a few outings per year..and maybe inland lakers.

thanks!

The big jon with the mounting base that bolts to the boat are nice. They are easy to mount and wont fall off. Just slide in the rigger and lock one screw.

For trolling battery i use the portable battery packs the ones for jump starting your car. They are cheaper and come with a charger. They may not last as long but you can buy two for the same as one marine DC. Mine have a small adapter for recharging so i dont need to carry my big battery charger on trips.

Wallyworld has the best prices on deep cycle batteries. My father just replaced both batteries in his boat and got a deep cycle battery for the trolling motor and a new starting battery for the same price as one battery would have cost at C.T.