Brown Trout in summer?

L.T.Stone

Hi guys, great forums!

Im new here and Its been years since I've done any serious fishing (not that I ever was that great of a fisherman) . Anyway I found a little creek about 20 minutes from my house where I have caught some Brown trout (2 on friday and 3 on Sat.) All I can say is now I'm im totally pumped , I've been bit by the fishing bug. But now Im worried that the hot summer weather will drive them away to deeper water or something. Is this true or can I look forward to catching brownies all year long? Also If any of you guys have any tips for catching these pretty fish in a small snag infested creek.

Brown Trout in some rivers will migrate up and down the river depending on water temps. If the temps in your area stay cool those fish will likely stay there all summer and if the temps in the lower end of your river get to warm you may find more trout start moving up into your area.

I would also suggest trying Fluorocarbon line in a higher strength which will give you more chance of keeping bigger fish out of the wood but still having the low visability in the line.

They also feed daily on insects so try small cadis larva, mayfly and stonefly nymphs.

gb

anglerspro.ca

I had a freind many years ago that would fish Cold Creek witha spinning outfit and 12 pound test and J-11 rapalas for big browns out of the nastiest wood blowdown holes you could imagine.

The big meal actually got these 3-5 pound browns to come out of the cover.

Try that...its extreme but if there are small browns there will be big cannibal browns in the blowdowns

D

When I was young fishing off the shore in Lake O, I found browns can be found along break walls and piers during the hazy days of summer, esp in the morning or eve hours.

I've caught my share of browns from 50 point to Bronte.

There's an old Ontario Fisherman magazine article called "The Browns of Summer" that details it quite nicely.

From experience, up until the end of June, and then back at the start of Aug I caught browns from break walls and piers.

Back in the 80's & 90's the MNR use to stock browns (and other salmonidae species) right off the beach at the breakwalls and piers, not sure if they "imprint" on that location like they would a river, but I always had most luck at breakwalls that the MNR stocked at (You can get this info from them, well you use to be able to)

Summer browns are fun, let us know if you catch any.

Thanks guys!

Someone told me that the trout have to stay in the creek because they have no where to go (dams further downstream or something. also there are a series of ponds that the stream connects to Which explains the perch and bass I catch between the browns. And yes those chubs are soo anoying cost me a fortune in worms :). I do have a fly rod but casting would probly be pretty hard with all the brush. Is is worth trying a fly with a bobber and a spinning rod? As for the time I usually get out in the evenings from 6:30 pm to sundown. I also heard an overcast day is better than sun because trout spook easily? Any fact to that? Anyhoo thanks for the advice and if anyone has anymore I'd like to hear it.browns.JPG

brown2.JPG