Thunder Bay recap / GTA ice conditions

sleepjigging

Just came back from Thunder Bay - via Porter. Good sight seeing trip. Just not enough time to do everything.

TBay is frozen up pretty good. Kakabeka Falls is crusted over completely.

DSCF9156.jpg

The Kam river is completely frozen over. McIntyre River in town is covered. The pond at Lakehead university is a skating rink now. The Current river/Boulevard Lake is covered. The outflow from the Current river at Lake Superior has a section that is open. Black Bay has 10"+ as reported by Hamilton Baits (with huts in place).

Lake Superior is starting to ice:

DSCF9131.jpgLooking at the Sleeping Giant

I did not get a chance to go fishing and did not see any fishermen this trip.

As we were flying home, over some waters I noticed: Scugog is frozen over. Lake simcoe is completely covered in ice/drifting snow. Little Lake, Bass Lake, Mud Lake, Balsam are all frozen. Lake Ontario is still open everywhere I could see.

I was hoping to get a head start to the Hardwater season, but I will just settle for a little sightseeing. It won't be long now down here in the GTA.

Thanks to all the members for all the advice about TBay.

Sleepjigging

Okay I thought so! I certainly didn't have any plans on getting out there before the new year, but i suppose hearing of lakes up north being frozen since November and some of the recent reports about the Kawartha's got me too antsy ahaha Thanks Craig!