Abu 7001 ?

dews

Looking to buy a new reel .... was thinking of a abu 7000 big game ..... does anyone know if they are made in a left handed model ???? Good luck to all on the opener this weekend ...... i have to wait 2 more weeks !!

You'll be extremely happy with that reel, dews !!

I use the BG7000HS with a 5:3-1 ratio for my jerkbait rod and it's perfect for casting and retrieving large baits. It's effortless with the power handle, takes up the slack line very quick and you can burn the baits in unbelievably fast if you need the speed.

It feels big and heavy compared to the 6000 series when you 1st start using it, but takes no time at all to get used to it, and it becomes very comfortable, and I can use mine all day with no problem.

Good luck to you this year !!

Ironically enough I was just looking into this as I am lefty as well.

The 7001 only comes in one flavour. A red model with the 4.1:1 retrieve ratio. I was hoping it also came in the 5.3:1 Lew mentioned but no dice.

Hey Raf, I know a couple guys with the red model and their happy with them, and if your not interested in a really fast retrieve, the 4:1 may work OK for you, plus you'll have plenty of cranking power for the big deep divers..

With the huge spool, it picks up line in a hurry.

I'm still debating it in my mind. Looking for a reel to burn very large bucks/boos mainly though, so something with good pulling power that is also fast. Like you say, the big spool should make up for the (slower) ratio.

One thing I didn't find out is whether the red models have instant anti-reverse like the HS(N)s.

I'm still debating it in my mind. Looking for a reel to burn very large bucks/boos mainly though, so something with good pulling power that is also fast. Like you say, the big spool should make up for the (slower) ratio.

One thing I didn't find out is whether the red models have instant anti-reverse like the HS(N)s.

Hey Raf..are you talking Dub 10 bladed baits? If you are, I would recommend that lower gear ration. Lotsa torque to crank those babies in, and with the high amount of lift they have, you don't have to crank em in like crazy to keep em up.

If you are talking just normal blades, but a large size body, then go with a higher gear ratio.

Stupid question...have you tried your Cabo for throwing these baits? How did it perform? Mine will be getting wet for the first time tomorrow...

Mike

yeah Mike, some are double 10s but waaaay bigger bodies than the tinsel stuff. ;)

I like the Cabos for jerkbaits but I have some doubt as to whether or not the gears will last hard-cranking these monsters. I guess time will tell. Looking at the 7000s and particularlty the HS(N)s they look like they'd take anything you throw at 'em.

Edited by Raf

Guys,

There is a 7001 BG that comes in left. it is gold in colour.

You might also want to take a look at the RCN61HC - it is the new Record reel from Abu. It has the power handle and the 5.3:1 ratio as well. I found this unit to be better than my 7001 that I have - it felt stronger too!