Sad, needless loss

Spiel

I often fish this area and have many decades of experience.

Knowledge I try to instill in my daughter and her boyfriend who often fish in the area mentioned in the linked article.

I always warn them to stay out of the water and away from the immediate damn outflow when fishing until they acquire the needed knowledge.

Knowledge that I would like to show them personally when I can find the time.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4884458-hamilton-man-drowns-in-grand-river/

My condolences to the family and friends of this young man.

When it comes to wading (any water), you gotta know your limits and play within it. Just tragic :(

Condolences to the friends and family.

On the west coast, some guides are now encouraging their clients to wear inflatable life jackets for walk and wade fishing.

it happens so fast if you are wearing waders and you go under or slip and they fill up with water and the current takes you. it happened to me when I was a kid fishing the Grand River down the street from my home, I was lucky,, my dad was with me and he grabbed me as I got dragged past him.

this is surely a sad event.

it happens so fast if you are wearing waders and you go under or slip and they fill up with water and the current takes you.

I was lucky that someone warned me about this when I used to fish that same spot. Once the water gets into the waders you're screwed. As a result I never went in water past the crotch area, and even then remember a couple times where I almost slipped in a hole or something. Just a bad combination of circumstances, real sad to hear.