Going up to Algonquin this weekend

Mark.O

Hey all,

Me and a bunch of buddies are going up to Algonquin this weekend to Mew Lake. I've heard that lake trout is in season there so I want to go fishing for some. Has anyone been to areas near or around Mew Lake? Or to Mew Lake? If so, how were the trout biting? Also, I know it's not bass season yet, but are they biting there? What other fish can I be expecting to catch?

And finally and most importantly, what kind of lures / bait should I be bringing if I'm going fishing for lakers? So far i've gotten a silver / blue spoon (labeled with a 60), a jig for drolling, and a small tungsten spoon. Any other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

-Mark

Also, I know it's not bass season yet, but are they biting there

Who cares if they are biting, season is closed...you're not going to be fishing for them...stay out of the shallower water.

If you want Lakers you'll need to fish Lake of Two Rivers next door to Mew's campsite, or one of the other deeper lakes East of Mew.

If you are lucky you might even catch some sleep. Several years ago; when my wife worked there; I spent a number of nights camping there (to visit her). The darn Bull Frogs were croaking all night !! I could not get to sleep, and eventualy thought about putting the canoe in and 'relocating' the dran things.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice sound at first but by 2 am it got awfully annoying.

Best of Luck

Entropy

Welcome Mark,

I went up to Mew Lake a few weeks back with a buddy. We did all our fishing in Lake of two Rivers. We caught several, but they were all in the slot size so they are still up there swiming around.

There was another group staying at Mew that fished in 2 other lakes, one before Mew off hyw 60 and on further east on 60 past LOTR, but before the visitor centre. They had some success in both.

The lakers were up in the top 10 feet ten and we trolled rapalas, all kinds, out behind the boat. We trolled spoons and spinners as well, but they didn't produce. It was my first time fishing in Algonquin, so I'm no expert on lakers and no doubt conditions have changed since then- we never saw a bug!!

Have fun and don't sleep in, LOTR will probably get windy in the aft.

suds

Me too I will be in Big Crow from Thurs a.m to Sunday. Called up there yesterday and they said bring bug dope. Apparently the hot weather has the skitters active.

I hope lots of bugs = few people +lots of fish... How's that Math?

Me too I will be in Big Crow from Thurs a.m to Sunday. Called up there yesterday and they said bring bug dope. Apparently the hot weather has the skitters active.

Good luck, have a great trip!

Nemo,

If you can rassle up some of the good old stuff with 99% deet you'll be fine. The last day of my spring trip this year the critters were just starting to emerge. That was May 6th. Last year we were in the park around this time and the black files were just insane. The fishing was on fire though. You're right about there being few people this time of year as most don't have the wedding tackle or the patience to deal with a black fly constantly burrowing into their ear. Good luck man and don't forget your bug jacket.

Corn Nug