Question for Bell Technicians

dsn

Ok I'm moving soon like a June 1st. Went to my new place and looked at the phone socket. Theres only room for one telephone plug.

I ordered a two line phone service and I have sympatico internet. I see only one phone plug. I'm lost. :blink: How do I connect a second line to my new phone when theres only one wall socket? The new phone I bought has a line 1 and line 2 socket on the bottom of it. And how do I connect my computer to the wall socket?

Three items and only one wall outlet. :dunno:

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

dsn

DSN you need to run new lines to your demarcation point. the demarcation point is usually located in your basement and it is a small box where all the lines in your house run into. Phone systems use one pair on the line coming into your house. you should have 2 or 3 pair coming into your house. you will wire to one of the spare pairs. you can then goto Home Depot and get a multi-jack receptacle. it allows you to have multiple jacks using only one box.

As for your internet? the will send you a splitter and some filters. put the splitter and filter on the line that you have signed up for internet access. Or my preferred method for the filter... I suggest locating it on the demarcation point itself. it saves having to filter every jack in the house.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

This place I'm going to is rental apartment. I guess it would have helped if I mentioned it first sorry. And whats a "demarcation point?" I have no clue.

:dunno:

Thanks for the info so far

dsn

a demarcation point is where Bells line ends and connects to your inside wiring... Bell is only liable for the line up to that demarcation point.... any issues after the demarcation point are your responsibility ... it is where Bells liability ends... all they have to do is provide service to the demarcation.

it is the box where the outside lines connect to the inside lines of your place.

Gerritt.

Ohhh.. and being a rental... I doubt you can run another line... Better hope that you have 2 pair coming into your rental from the demarcation or your screwed.... only other way to have two numbers on one line is indent-a-call... and it sucks..

Gerritt.

Chances are you have 3 pair running from the maintenance room in the building up to your apartment. Because it is a building, Bell will ensure that the 3 pairs are provisioned accordingly. What you will end up with is a single location with 2 plugs. You will have to purchase dual jacks for the other outlet locations and wire em in yourself. It's easy, just look at the colours that Bell wires in on the first jack.

With your DSL, as Gerritt says, you will be sharing 1 of your phone lines with it. You will be required to install a filter on every device on that line in the apartment, except for the DSL modem.

The first paragraph will not apply if you get distinctive ring. If you have distinctive ring, each of your phone lines will ring a certain way, allowing you to identify which number is being called by the rings. In this case, there should be no re-wiring done, just the filters.

If you have no need to talk on 2 simultaneous phones, distinctive rings is the way to go... $5 a month for the second number. No muss no fuss.

cd.

Guest lundboy

This only applies if you have ordered two separate lines from Bell, not one main line with Ident-a-Call (Distinctive ring).

Oh-oh I feel a lecture coming on:

:blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

This is going to sound complicated, but here goes...

A lot of the 2 line phones come with two jacks on the back one labeled 1-2, and the other label 2.

What this means is that if you have a phone labeled 1-2 & 2, you can wire the one and only wall jack with both pairs setup on the one jack and plug it in to the jack on the phone labeled 1-2 (this requires that you make sure you have 2 pair (4 wire) phone cords).

OR

You can wire up 2 wall jacks side by side, one with line one going to the phone jack labeled 1-2, and the other wall jack with line 2 plugged into the phone jack labeled 2, this will work with 2 pair or 4 pair phone cords.

Wall jack RED & GREEN (normally known as tip & ring, and are the 2 inside connectors in the jack) are wired on the back to line 1.

Wall jack YELLOW & BLACK (the two outside connectors in the jack), are wired on the back to line 2.

Sometimes depending on how the wiring coming to your apartment is you may see a whole bundle of wires (25 pair of numerous colours, which service multiple apartments) running in the wall with a pair or two connected to your jack. If you only have 2 wires, your Bell guy should tone out the 2nd pair for you and pull them out of the bundle. Note: Sometimes you may see 2 pairs wired to the RED & GREEN on the back of the jack, this could mean that the 2nd pair may be wired as an extension to another jack in the apartment or house such as the bedroom.

If there is not a 25 pair bundle and it is only 3 pair as mentioned previously, Bell will usually use blue-white, white-blue pair for line 1 and orange-white, white-orange pair for line 2. This may be different if the Bell tech finds that one of the three pairs are bad.

If it is looking more difficult than you want to tackle, get Entourage (Bell company) to do the complete install $89 then you will hopefully be good to go.

As for the DSL filter, DO NOT put it on the main line coming in (which you can't do in an apartment anyways) if you do it will filter out the DSL modulation and your modem won't connect! You need a filter for each phone, fax or dial-up modem in the apartment on the same line as the DSL. Bell usually supplies about 3 filters, you can get more if you need them at your favourite electronics store.

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
switch to cogeco

There are numerous benefits to DSL especially in apartments, such as every connection goes back to the central office and has dedicated bandwidth from the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer). Whereas cable modems share the same bandwidth for up to 12 other customers on the one UBR (Universal Broadband Router). Thats' why most cable internet subscribers complain about slowdowns (congestion) around 4pm to 9pm when the kiddies get home from school and start downloading Britney. DSL subscribers normally don't see this type of slowdown.

There are numerous benefits to DSL especially in apartments, such as every connection goes back to the central office and has dedicated bandwidth from the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer). Whereas cable modems share the same bandwidth for up to 12 other customers on the one UBR (Universal Broadband Router). Thats' why most cable internet subscribers complain about slowdowns (congestion) around 4pm to 9pm when the kiddies get home from school and start downloading Britney. DSL subscribers normally don't see this type of slowdown.

So sharing the same bandwidth as all the other DSL subscribers from the DSLAM at the CO through the phone network is preferred over sharing the same loop as your neighbours with cable? Running lossy DSL through old corroded 24g copper is preferred over sheilded RG6? Being too far from a CO and having to run DSL in maintenance mode as opposed to nice fast cable is preferred?

Ugh. Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but where there is a choice between cable and DSL, cable wins hands down. The only people to push DSL are people with something to gain. Any non-partisan opinion will pick cable 99% of the time, the other 1% are people who haven't been screwed by the DSL provider as bad as they have been screwed by their cable provider.

Wow Thanks for all that info lundboy and everyone else. Starting to learn something here.

June 1st around 5pm-9pm the Bell is going over to my new place and get the second line going. I'll see what he does and take note of everything I learned from here.

Thanks every one you've been a great help!!

dsn :thumbsup_anim:

I'll go with cable wins also. The fact of sharing with neighbours might have been an issue 8 years ago but it isn't anymore, yes you still share with the neighbours but the speed is not affected. The Phone Beavers have been using that excuse for as long as can remember. But unlike the phone company, cable has improved tenfolds over the last 4-5 years.

Guest lundboy
I'll go with cable wins also. The fact of sharing with neighbours might have been an issue 8 years ago but it isn't anymore, yes you still share with the neighbours but the speed is not affected. The Phone Beavers have been using that excuse for as long as can remember. But unlike the phone company, cable has improved tenfolds over the last 4-5 years.

It may have improved in some areas but not in all (some of my friends are still screaming about the 4-9 bottlenecks to Rogers, and they are in different parts of the GTA), but after doing some pretty extensive work (as an unbiased contractor) for Cogeco Burlington I know that wiring still plays a major roll in causing Cable Modem slowdowns, and unless they have reprogrammed and upgraded from CISCO all of their UBRs with dedicated VLAN bandwidth assignments (Rogers too), there are still those 4-9pm bottlenecks in many neighbourhoods. Wire quality, proper termination, and cable damage from frost and wildlife affect both DSL and CM, one is no more immune than the other.

That RG-6 coming into your house has a 3GHz bandwidth, with a majority of that taken up with digital TV. The way in which most cable providers are cramming more channels down the line (not to mention home phone now) is by lowering the resolution and adding more compression. All of this adds overhead to the amount of bandwidth that is available to use for HS.

Anyways.... It really doesn't matter as long as everyone can log on to OFNCommunity!

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
So sharing the same bandwidth as all the other DSL subscribers from the DSLAM at the CO through the phone network is preferred over sharing the same loop as your neighbours with cable? Running lossy DSL through old corroded 24g copper is preferred over sheilded RG6? Being too far from a CO and having to run DSL in maintenance mode as opposed to nice fast cable is preferred?

Ugh. Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but where there is a choice between cable and DSL, cable wins hands down. The only people to push DSL are people with something to gain. Any non-partisan opinion will pick cable 99% of the time, the other 1% are people who haven't been screwed by the DSL provider as bad as they have been screwed by their cable provider.

Somebody arbitrarily said switch to Cogeco (Funny I did quite a bit of work for Cogeco Burlington as a contractor so I know that they aren't perfect, as a matter of fact they don't want to spend a dime to make things better). I responded with an opinion based on personal and professional (non-partisan) experience. As you just did (I think). The only thing I have to gain is trying to help someone out with a decision. And I'm sure all those 99% non-partisan people just love being harassed and cut off by Rogers when they have reached that "unlimited bandwidth" that was marketed to them by the Rogers HS Sales person. Something I've yet to see/hear from Sympatico, and I share a lot of files >50GB/month.

Wire is wire none of it is immune to problems. I know quite a few times when my neighbour (a Rogers cable installer) had to go and pull new wire from the cable distribution box into someones home because their cable modem would only give them +-512Kbps, due to frost damage or old RG62, bad crimp etc. Don' be fooled, Rogers (and others) only upgrade cabling to someones premise when they complain, it's not all new and fresh RG6.

Anyways this is a fishing forum so dial-up, DSL or CM doesn't really matter as long as we can all connect here!

Gerritt and lundboy, thanks for sharing your wisdom. I used to work at an ISP and what you have stated is bang on!

Tony

Yeah agree thanks for the insight.

dsn