Topwater Muskie Madness!!

SuperDave

Hey all,

Haven't had much to report this year so thought i'd tell you a little about 2 days this past week that were sheer fun!! My brother and I met up for some Muskie fishing last wed and thurs. The weather was cool, cloudy, rainy and windy. We stuck to calm areas on all the bodies of water we hit and managed 8 muskies! 6 of them came on topwater lures, which in my opinion is the most exciting way to catch a muskie. No real trophies ... 35,38,38,41,43,46 and a couple of dinks.Water temps went from 70 to 67 and that's when it all shut down. Caught the 43 on my first cast which never happens... also, we caught the 38' back to back which was cool! This weather is great for releasing fish as well as the water temps.

6 fish came on prop baits ... mostly topraiders. Didn't matter about the colour. The plopping noise was obviously the key.

This was just what the doctor ordered for us as our previous muskie experiences have been not so good.

Congratulations! Sounds like a blast. I have yet to get a musky on top as well, despite trying all kinds of lures. Your report reminds me of my second musky trip ever that took place about 5 yrs ago now. I caught 5 fish in 45 minutes, the largest 44", I couldn't do anything wrong that day and I couldn't figure out why people were saying that muskies were so hard to catch. Well, reality caught up with me and I haven't had a day like that since. I got to get out again soon. Thx for the report.

I love to hate topwater muskie. Love the strike but I always manage to have the craziest fish strikes that produces lost fish. Like last month when a 50"er torpedoed my weagle at mach 10 and lauched about 4ft out of the water 10ft from the boat edge. My hook up ratio it just terrible. I think I am somewhere in 2-30 range lol

I started fishing topwater more often about 7 years ago. It started with walk the dog type lures and at first it seemed like the muskies missed it all the time. They would cartwheel over it or completely miscalculate their target. I was frustrated but stuck with it. I now have caught approx. 25 fish on topwater, only losing a very small percentage. Prop baits like Topraiders I rarely used up until last week. Seems to me an easier target for the fish and they seem to hook themselves when they smash it. Of course, they were hitting very aggressively.

I did however lose a very big fish many years back that still haunts me :(

The Poes Jackpot has been my #1 lure of choice. I also have caught 1 fish on a creeper which was very cool. The fish came up 6 ft. from the boat and sucked it off the surface, barely a sound.

I think the key to my success is that I throw them a lot. I seek out calmer areas of the water on windy days and use them in all water temps and any time of the day. I have caught fish on top in 49 degree water temps and also on bright sunny days.

No 2 hits are the same, and the sight of that wake behind your bait certainly gets the blood flowing.

Edited by BigJack1

I'm really curious about top water muskies. I absolutely love top water bass fishing and even more so when I hook into a pike on the surface.

So do you top water in deep water or is this shallows where you know there are big fish? Do you only do it when it's super calm like with bass? I bought a massive hoolahopper to try out but I'm not sure where to start.

I use them in. Any depth and have caught most fish in open water on LSC. I also use them in dead calm to 1' chop from before sun up to high noon with blue bird sky. There is not a wrong time or place for them. One thing I like is if the bite has slowed down I will use them to try and make them bite by making a commotion