THE TURNOVER

GRINGO LOCO

I have fished Smoothrock Lake in the Wabakimi Park area north of Lake Nipigon for many, many years. The walleye and northern fishing in the wilderness is excellent. My fishing has usually been late June or mid July. I once took a trip in mid September and the fishing was ok but not the numbers that I was used to catching and some said it was because of the turnover. The lake (huge area of lakes and rivers) is deep in places but also has large areas of all depths of water. My question is what do members think about a trip for a week beginning August 15. Will the turnover be a factor? Your thoughts are appreciated.

If the lake does have a thermocline I would think it is very unlikely that it will turn over in mid August.

The better question might be does it develop a thermocline in the first place. Some lakes never do. Some lakes only do it if the summer is hot enough and/or the winter didn't last too long.

When does the turnover usually happen northwestern ontario? I am a little worried about the turn over effecting my fishing on the 16th-23rd of september. It is a good size lake, 10km x 3km but is only about 30' deep max. Am I in trouble? Mid August seems like a safe bet.

turnover occurs usually around canadian thanksgiving in the sudbury area. i would not expect much difference in NWO. maybe a week or so earlier. dont fret, go fish.

Edited by Raf

When does the turnover usually happen northwestern ontario? I am a little worried about the turn over effecting my fishing on the 16th-23rd of september. It is a good size lake, 10km x 3km but is only about 30' deep max. Am I in trouble? Mid August seems like a safe bet.

Find the fastest deepest breaks from shore----you'll find em