2015 destinations, cabin rentals

mcdougy

We are looking to keep exploring on next years trips in the near north. We would like to rent cabins next year on two separate occasions.

The first trip is a 3 couples trips with friends (we are approaching 40 and our friends are in their early 50's)

Like to keep the drive to a maximum 1 hour north of Sudbury on both trips.

We have 2 boats for the couples trip. mine a 14' with a 25 and the other is a 18' with 90 h.p.

Like to have access to decent type of fishing at the doorstep.

Like to be scenic

Like to have running water and washrooms in cabin if possible

Like to go for the odd drive and explore the area (crop tour)

Like a relaxed atmosphere, where enjoying a campfire is not frowned upon if there is no ban.

Like not having to bring everything.

Like places that are on the smaller side. Like to rent 3 cottages if applicable

Like to stay on a approx. $700-900 budget (cabin only..we cook) for a week in late july early august.

The family trip (wife, kids 6,11, 17) and pooch if possible, is essentially the same requirements

Like some things to entertain the kids a bit.

Like to fish a little harder on this trip

Kids like pike fishing but any species is good

Like to have a beach area if possible

Generally in August due to some of the sports being over

Budget is basically the same for 1 week accomodations only

We do tent glamping for a week every year also, and also do a complete off grid back pack only canoe adventure yearly as well. This is why I would like cabin suggestions for these 2 weeks.

I appreciate your suggestions and experience

Matt

Two places I'll recommend are Memquisit Lodge & Mashkinonje Lodge, both on the West Arm of Nippissing and probably 50 miles south east of Sudbury...give or take.

I was at Mashkinonje last month and liked it so much we've already booked for next June and I've stayed at Memquisit a couple times and am leaving August 9th for another 2 weeks.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mashkinonjelodge.com%2F&ei=4CLVU6-PNpKQyASGoYHIDQ&usg=AFQjCNFF5F_8NXO_6P2FPvvzMdpB6FaP0w&bvm=bv.71778758,d.aWw

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.memquisitlodge.net%2F&ei=CiPVU--ROYKyyASH4YLYCw&usg=AFQjCNGSBtQDrB8MkFPhKPcQfp05MIyJ4w&bvm=bv.71778758,d.aWw

Chaudiere Lodge French River

Awesome place. I've been working with Steve the owner this year with bookings. It's not really what you're looking for (full American plan, more expensive). But I'll bet I could swing you a deal that's within your budget. Could be a tiny bit more but when you factor in not having to buy and cook food you're ahead.

The French River is quite a scenic place once you get inside the park. There are a bunch of lodges throughout the river. The Wolesley area is a bit busier since there are three or four lodges close together. I'd probably do a boat in if you can manage it.

I have always been intrigued by Limberlost Forest & Wildlife Reserve. Haven't been, but really want to spends some time there for the trout fishing.

There are plenty of places for the family trip. I think one of the lodges on Nipissing West should be good. Maybe even on Lake Nosbonsing. I went ice fishing on Nosbonsing earlier this year and stayed at Cozy Camp cottages. There are two other camps down the road and a fourth one across the lake. The fishing for us was horrible, but that was ice fishing and it's almost always horrible for us everywhere we go, lol. I believe there is a nice weedy section at the SW end of the lake thats good for pike fishing.

There are many decent places in the Kawarthas as well. Check out some near Burleigh Falls. Kids will love jumping into the falls. Check out the lodges on Lovesick Lake, Stoney Lake and Upper Stoney Lake. They are close to Petroglyphs PP as well.

I've also stayed in Pointe au Baril at Pleasant Cove Resort on Georgian Bay (10,000 islands). It's quite nice, but the lake can be REALLY busy - not to mention insane to navigate. If you're going in late August though, it might be worth checking out. Pike fishing should be decent. There's also Kenlea Cottages nearby, but I've never stayed there.

I'd also look into the Spanish River and I hear good things about Restoule Lake/PP as well. I bet there are a lot of gems in the Land'O'Lakes region too.

Ontario is awesome.

We've stayed at the welcome lodge on nippissing a couple times a few years ago. Great little cabins for the money! It's a little bit of a boat ride to get to any good walleye spots (probably about 20-30min depending on how fast your boat is) but the pike fishing was amazing even straight off the dock. Lots and lots of great little inlets for top water bass fishing too. I was a kid back when we went and I had lots of fun.

We've stayed at the welcome lodge on nippissing a couple times a few years ago. Great little cabins for the money! It's a little bit of a boat ride to get to any good walleye spots (probably about 20-30min depending on how fast your boat is) but the pike fishing was amazing even straight off the dock. Lots and lots of great little inlets for top water bass fishing too. I was a kid back when we went and I had lots of fun.

X2