Back from Port Loring after Lake Onaping Fire Detour

express168

Well just got back from White Biches in Port Loring after having to change our plans because Northwoods Lodge had to evacuate Lower Onaping lake during the fire at Halfway Lake Provincial Park. Thanks for the heads up on the evacuation Walleyejigger, it allowed me to quickly find another place to go. I have spoke with Northwoods today and they apologized ( no need for it as it is not their fault) and they are going to honour our deposits for a future trip, maybe this fall for some pike and walleye if the WIFE ok's it. :whistling: Fishing was OK with a bunch of pike and a few OOS bass(no pictures) and one sucker, but couldn't get into the walleye at all, only one between all the people there this weekend. The best part was watching a moose come out into the river in front of our boat, swim across to the other side. I have some pics but no time to download tonight, going to spend some time with the kids. There was a Smokercraft docked at White Birches with OFC stickers all over it , it appears to be docked there for the season as the owner never appeared the whole weekend. Was just wondering who the OFNer was that I missed out on meeeting. Oh well I know it is not that exciting a report but it is better than what could have been if Walleyejigger didn't give me the heads up on the fire and we drove up there from Hamilton only to get stopped.

That boat is mine and I am a seasonal at the park and I was there and I am sure that I even talked to you,should have had my OFC hat on.The park owner is just getting over cancer treaments and I was the guy cutting the grass all the time.Fishing wasn't all that good just as well as I spent a lot of time fixing my trailer.

vance

Great report, good thing you had the heads up from Walleyjigger thats for sure.

And Kudos to you Vance for taking care of things for the owner while he's sick :thumbsup_anim:

Can't wait for the moose pics.

Joey

Thanks for the report. I think the fire has changed alot of plans for people so far, nice to see the owner keeping the deposit for future use and a good excuse to go away again. I'll be waiting to see the pics and better luck with the eyes on your next trip.

Well Vance, We talked as I was headed for the showers on the Monday and you invited me to check out the lake maps at your trailer. Sorry, I didn't notice the hat at the time. I hope to be there again as they treat me pretty well when I am there and maybe we can sit and talk and share a few drinks . That is a good thing you are doing helping them out there, truly shows that you are a class act.