Getting a Honda ready for the season?

ilario

Hello people,

I just bought a Honda 4 stroke (1980's model?). To be on the safe side, I'd like to change the current oil (including the lower unit gear oil) and replace with synthetic. I bought some Mobil 10W-30 for the engine oil and I'd like to pick up some synthetic for the lower as well although Bass Pro didn't have any... where can buy it?

What else should I do to it? What about the fuel filter? Is there anything else I'm missing? Would you change the spark plugs to be on the safe side? the fellow I bought it off said the motor was ready to go, but when I look at the oil, it doesn't look fresh to me. I've never worked on my own motor before so I thought this might be a good place to ask..

As well, I don't have a water tank to start it up, and I'd like to do so in my garage as I work on it. Is there a hook up for a garden hose on this models to flush the engine with fresh water as it runs?

Thanks for any assistance...

PP

Edited by Poachers Paradise

Hello people,

I just bought a Honda 4 stroke (1980's model?). To be on the safe side, I'd like to change the current oil (including the lower unit gear oil) and replace with synthetic. I bought some Mobil 10W-30 for the engine oil and I'd like to pick up some synthetic for the lower as well although Bass Pro didn't have any... where can buy it?

What else should I do to it? What about the fuel filter? Is there anything else I'm missing? Would you change the spark plugs to be on the safe side? the fellow I bought it off said the motor was ready to go, but when I look at the oil, it doesn't look fresh to me. I've never worked on my own motor before so I thought this might be a good place to ask..

As well, I don't have a water tank to start it up, and I'd like to do so in my garage as I work on it. Is there a hook up for a garden hose on this models to flush the engine with fresh water as it runs?

Thanks for any assistance...

PP

What size is the motor?you don't have to use synthetic oil regular oil will do a fine job.As for changing the plugs you don't have to do that very often with 4 stroke technology.My dealer recommends changing the motor oil every 100 hours in my 50hp Honda not sure about smaller engines but I would think they rev higher .

MTP

I don`t know about a older Honda 4 stroke but I would call or visit a Honda marine dealer and ask his opinion,my owners manual says do not use car engine oil only marine grade engine oil apparently it has additives makes sense since marine engines run at much higer rev`s than car engines.For the gear oil I beleive a regular 90 weight gear oil would be fine put again check with the dealer.

Changing the fuel filter and spark plugs would be a good idea they are cheap you don`t want to get stuck on the lake because of fouled plugs.

As far as a flushing attachment on your motor I don`t know but again on mine there is a flushing attachement by the owners manual clearly states not to run your engine while using this attachement.

I don`t know about a older Honda 4 stroke but I would call or visit a Honda marine dealer and ask his opinion,my owners manual says do not use car engine oil only marine grade engine oil apparently it has additives makes sense since marine engines run at much higer rev`s than car engines.For the gear oil I beleive a regular 90 weight gear oil would be fine put again check with the dealer.

Changing the fuel filter and spark plugs would be a good idea they are cheap you don`t want to get stuck on the lake because of fouled plugs.

As far as a flushing attachment on your motor I don`t know but again on mine there is a flushing attachement by the owners manual clearly states not to run your engine while using this attachement.

Thanks folks.. It's a 9.9 although it's labelled '100' on the cowel. A couple of people (non-Honda mechanics)have told me that car oil (regualr or synthetic) is perfectly acceptable... Maybe I will go with marine grade.

Where is the fuel filter located on it? I downloaded the manual but it doesn't clearly indicate it...

Doers anyone know of a Honda dealer in the GTA? I'm in Vaughan (NW part of GTA). Maybe I'll pay them a visit today...

Regards

Leisure marine they are on Hwy 7 in Woodbridge 905 851-5752

For the extra buck or 2 that 4 stroke oil costs it is cheap insurance.

I don`t know what a Honda fuel filter looks like but I would assume it is similar to others a opaque cylinder shape with connection on either end it should be clearly visible.

Leisure marine they are on Hwy 7 in Woodbridge 905 851-5752

For the extra buck or 2 that 4 stroke oil costs it is cheap insurance.

I don`t know what a Honda fuel filter looks like but I would assume it is similar to others a opaque cylinder shape with connection on either end it should be clearly visible.

i think I know what you're talking about...ca it (the filter) just be removed (screwed or pulled off?) or does it require special a special tool/touch?

thanks again for the help folks...

PP

Pair of pliers to squeeze the quick clamp tabs for removal of inline filter.

Muffs for running require excess flow pouring out on the floor...you got a good slope or drain in that floor + CO2 fumes to boot. Get it outside if you're gonna run it.

Don't use 90w in the lower unit, once again the additives package for automotive and marine are different, they are this way for a reason. Get the high performance gear oil from Mercury or Quicksilver, this stuff has the ability to mix with water which regular 90w doesn't. Can save you huge money in the end.