24v battery charging question

Steve

Until I purchase an onboard charger, I have to find a simple solution to charge my trolling motor batteries.

I have three or four standard 12v chargers that I have acquired over the years.

Over the last 12 months or so I've simply put one charger on each battery and the batteries charged accordingly.

Sometimes I'd disconnect the jumper cable between the two batteries, sometimes i'd disconnect all the wires so the 12v batteries were independent, and other times i'd disconnect nothing. To me, it didn't appear that any one method made a difference over the other....well "maybe" they charged "fullest" when the batteries were completely disconnected from one anther....but that's a big pain in the butt to do every time I want to charge my batteries (which I try and top up after every day's use).

Seeing that money is tight and I don't see a new onboard charger at least until fall at the earliest, I need to figure out the best method for charging my 24v system. Disconnect both batteries and charge? disconnect the jumper and charge? or disconnect nothing and charge?

Thanks all!

Edited by Steve

If you have two 12 volt (automatic) chargers, Preferably set at the same charging rate.

There is no need to disconnect any wires or jumpers, simply connect a charger to each battery and charge them like you would charge those batteries individually.

series7_zps9f8b8e2a.gif

Edited by stonefish

I have a rechargeable lawn mower that uses two 12 volt batteries connected in series to produce 24 volts. I leave the batteries connected and hook a regular 12 volt charger to each a single battery and charge one battery at a time. This has worked on the same set of batteries for close to 10 years.