RR walleye spawn

Well, after this gnarly winter it certainly appears the walleye spawn will be late and possibly line up perfectly with opener, d'oh. I spent a few hours tossing husky jerks for pike, in high cold water. No luck at all for the past few days. Just about to leave i tried slow rolling the shoreline with a spinnerbait. First cast, fish on. Maybe 5fow. Felt like maybe i hooked a stick, the a good head shake. Made me think mid 30's pike, until I got the barrel roll. Damn its a big walleye. Fought like a beast after that, i was thinking ten plus. Got it to shore, gave it a good look, fish was about 7.5 -8lbs, plopped the hook then release. End of my day. Beauty lake walleye, nice clean colour, fat as all heck. But no eggs and not even a puckered butt. This year is gonna be brutal. Water temps still only 39. Just thought id share

Edited by manitoubass2

Good to hear you released it. I release the big guys -keep the 2 lbers for the frying pan. RRFN - I'm curious? where is that? Thanx

I'd never keep a walleye that big lol, i like the real small guys, nothing bigger then 17". Anyhow it was an out of season catch. I'm in zone 5, walleye doesn't open till May 17th. RRFN stands for rainy river First Nations. Its in NW ontario, smack dab between Thunder Bay and winnipeg

That is beautiful country. I lived in Thunder Bay in the early 70s Loved all the outdoor activities available!

it sure is!!!! Just got word from a friend today that rainy lake is the same. Few weeks before walleye will spawn. Crappy news. Ying and yang i guess after a few really good spawns in a row. Edited by manitoubass2

I'm not too sure about how long it takes for walleye eggs to mature to the right size before depositing?(something to look into) but my bud on rainy lake said their about half the size they should be. Water temps here on the river are still at 39 degrees. At what point does time triumph conditions for the spawn? I'm watching my area closely to try to learn. Everything I've noted says 43-45 degrees and its on. Very possible those temps have been reached downriver at wheelers/LOTW