Lakers instead for the pike opener?

I was just reading pikeslayers thread on fishing splake instead of pike on the opener to avoid targeting spawning pike. I'm making my annual trip to Lake Baptiste 3rd Sat in May to feed the black flies and maybe this year try for Lakers instead of gators? I'm guessing I will need to use the same techniques as splake fishing in the same type of areas?

Thanks

Lakers won't be that shallow (2ft of water), but they'll be way up high in the water column.. For lakers I'd look for spots 6-20ft, at this time of year you can sight fish them as well. If you're trolling, long leads and body baits or small spoons..

Lots of good laker fishing around baptiste. Ive never had great luck on bapptiste itself, but some of the smaller laker lakes are loaded. Drag a #7 or 9 taildancer 100+ feet behindd the boat and hold on. Ive got them as shallow as 12fow, and also caught lots trolling over deep open water. They're everywhere. Cover water and you'll find them. I like to be moving about 2mph.

Another thing to consider is rainbows. Lots of stocked rainbow lakes up there, and they are eager to bite this time of year. Worm harnesses, small gang trolls with streamers and wooly buggers 18" behind work great. They're great eating too!!

I love this time of year up there. Ive had a cottage in wilberforce for 26years, and look forward to the spring troutin the most every year!

S.