Wiring my transom mount motor...

ssauvain

I want to move my battery up front in the boat...how do I get the wires that long on my Minn Kota Endura 55lb. thrust transom motor? I would like to run them along the sides and strap them in nicely so they don't get in the way. Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by ssauvain

Don't assume you can just take alligator clips off the existing wires and add more wire with a good butt connector. That may work, it depends what gauge wire originally comes on the Minn Kota, quite possible that extended length is not safe at that wire size and you need to replace the entire lenghth with a heavier gauge wire.

Here's a quick, clean solution: from the battery back to a convenient place the existing Minn Kota wires reach run heavy gauge wire, that can end at nice posts the alligator clips can clamp onto. On battery end you can crimp regular battery lugs, makes for a clean installation

I have the opposite situation on my boat. I have a bow mount with the battery in the back.

I replaced the connectors on the motor with a plug in connector from Cabela's designed for electric motors. I ran eight gauge wire outdoor from the battery to a female plug (also from Cabela's) mounted at the bow of the boat. I simply plug the motor in and go. I aslo replaced the gator clips on my battery charger with the same plug as I put on the motor. Then I can unplug the motor and plug in the charger at the end of the day.

In my case I was fortunate that Alumacraft ran a some ABS plastic pipe from the bow to the stern of the boat. This made running the wire a lot cleaner.

The eight gauge wire that I used would be the minimum thickness to use. Six gauge would be better.

This set up has worked well for over ten years now.

I was lucky when I did mine, one of my customers shops put the insulation on bare copper wire, I have a bow mount and wanted the batteries in back. The had wire with extra thick insulation(6 gauge) I ran it under the deck and cut garden hose and cable tied it to any points that might get more wear. I use quick connects like on small electric pallet jacks to connect the wire to the batteries.

My boat is 16`8" for that long a run I felt better using 6 gauge wire, a welding supply house might have something you can use, like from an arc welder?

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sbs.html

Edited by OhioFisherman