Gas fireplace question.

Gerritt

Was outside doing some spring cleaning this past weekend and noticed soot on the side of the house above the exhaust for the fireplace. I thought this to be unusual and went inside and inspected the fireplace.

I noticed a patch of soot with what I can only describe as blobs or balls of soot directly above the pilot light. After a bit of a google search the most common cause for this is incorrect log placement. Consulting with the manual I confirmed the log placement was correct, I cleaned out the soot in the fireplace repositioned the logs as per the instructions following then to a tee.

I am again noticing soot beginning to build up above the pilot... I have triple checked log placement is correct.

Is there something I may be over looking? This FP has not given me a problem, nor done this before. Odd to happen out of the blue.

Any thoughts for the vast knowledge here on OFC

Thanks in advance,

G

Is there any charcoal like pieces in the pilot flame? When have you had a maintenance done on it last ..if you had somebody in there maybe an air shutter adjustment was adjusted by mistake on the main burner. Hows the gasket on the glass..good condition..nice tight fit? Any obstructions in the vent outside..bird nests or leafy plants?