Why Have So Many Cities and Towns Given Away So Much Money to Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's?

Sharkbait22

This is true to a degree, but CT also has some of the most ridiculously cheap clearance prices also! I recently bought a pile of rapala max raps at CT for $7 each, and they retail for $16.99 at Lebaron. I also bought a bunch of deep tail dancers, trolls to 10 and 20's and clackin raps from $4 to $7 a piece, as well as nanofil 10 and 12lb test at $14 a spool. Those are some pretty sweet deals! My buddy got a humminbird 587 for $250 on clearance as well. So while mostly they are expensive, they are cheap like borscht when they want to get rid of product! I shop mainly at my local (well, closest anyway) tackle shop, but I don't mind scoring deals when they come up, and Canadian Tire has been good to me!

i wait for their tools to go 70% off before i walk into CTC then i walk around. but it makes one think,if they are selling items at 70% off and still make a profit,thats some mark up they got.

Some times item are deeply discounted below their cost that the store paid for them. The inventory system takes into account how long it has been on the shelf and how many have been sold in a set time of reference. If it is below that number it is discounted and in some cases thrown out. The store has a specific amount of money that they are allowed to keep in inventory so if it is full of slow moving stock then they do not meet there sales numbers. Some of this stock is grouped together and sold in lots and this is how you see product on discount websites that are being sold for less than what they are worth.

Art

CT for the sale or clearance items only. Smaller guys for whatever I need that's the right price... I always order rods/reels from Bill's in Hamilton. There's lots of smaller shops out there that specialize in gear for certain bodies of water or species that are helpful. Box stores might get 30-50% of my business these days, mainly cuz of availability, location and the convenience. But I give my business to the little guys first if it makes sense... can't imagine the hit they take now with the emergence of these corporate stores!