New boat is riding with bow very high

fisher

I just picked up my new smokercraft 172 last week and took it to Lake Ontario yesterday to begin the break in of the 115 and 9.9 mercurys.

(By the way, port credit launch was blocked by fair rides covering the parking lot. What were they thinking? Anyway, I headed to bronte and launched there - for $17!)

So, while on the lake which had a chop due to the 20 km east winds , the big motor would cause the bow to ride pretty high and would only plane out at the higher end of the speed range (this was hard on the boat since at this speed the chop was causing the boat to come down hard on the water every so often). I couldn't run it at mid speed (which would have been ideal) since the boat rode so high and I couldn't see in front of me. I had to stand and that was pretty uncomfortable. Plus the back end was so low to the water it was not comforting at all. It was obvious the boat was not handing well. So I was left having to come in pretty slow.

By the way, I ran into the marine police out there. Nice guys. Just asked me what I was doing and if I was fishing. Asked if I had all my safety stuff and to call *16 on my cell if I ran into trouble. Didn't stop me to check. Instead they only carried on the conversation while they rode beside me. Really good to see them out there with a genuine caring attitude.

Anyway I am going to call the dealer (who is 2 hours away) to get his thoughts and suggestions but wanted some opinions here first.

I have heard the following:

1) move the motor down a notch or two (right now it is in the middle bolt position) but it is already riding low to the water (so I don't like that idea). This was one if the two suggestoons by the marine police

2) I also heard about possible prop pitch issue (currently has a 15P prop according to what is on the prop). This was marine polices second suggestion.

3) I read online that smart tabs might help. I can't believe I have to spend money to make a new boat work properly.

Anyone have experience or opinion on this issue and any possible solution that worked for them they care to share before I call the dealer?

Note the stern appears to be heavy loaded. It has the 2 engines, the gas tank which was half full with 50 litres of gas and one of the two batteries. But the boat is rated for a 140 and it has a 115 and 9.9 (so that appears to be well within the weight guidance that the boat was designed for). Just a frustrating experience to say the least.

I also am curious if you think the chop may have made the issue much worse and maybe wouldn't be an issue in calmer water (I am not sure when I can get out again next to test this but nonetheless, the boat definitely should have handled better in that chop).

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Installed smart tabs last week and tried the boat out today. what a difference. So much better. And was in rough water. So the comparison was exact.

It's too bad I had to modify a new boat, but it worked.

Thanks again to everyone. And especially for the smart tab suggestion.