Ideal float rod length for eastern tribs

redpearl99

I'm tellin ya, a 7' med light spinning rod/reel. Perfect! I use a 7' ultra light clarus. Honest to gawd.

P.S...its not your rod thats busting you off. A new lighter rod may help you some, but you need to snap a bunch off before you get the feel of the pin. It takes a bit. Before ya know it, you'll be running 2lb leaders with ease. The best thing for you to do is use what you have, and get good at it. A new rod will just start a new learning curve, and you haven't figured out the gear you already have. EXPERIENCE will outfish any rod/reel combo. Take the time to get as much as you can.

S.

great post!

I read and listened to everyone's advice......but I couldn't help myself and ended up buying the 13' Streamside IM8 rod today. I am a proud member of the more money than brains club.

It felt pretty good and I landed a whole bunch of suckers in an eastern trib today, only had one chrome on. The reel seats are complete garbage though and I didn't have any electrical tape with me at the river.

Edited by redpearl99

yep, streamside is the best you can get for the money, their higher end tranquility rod can easily compare to higher end rods that cost 2-3x more! I would've gone a little shorter for the area you're fishing just cuz, if you fish the headwaters of those eastern creeks you will find it a little hard to manoeuvre the longer rod, you made a fabulous choice though and on the other hand you're good to go, if you wanna try some of the bigger faster flowing g-bay tribs!