Starcraft Islander

Dondorfish

I have done lots of fishing from these boats. Many friends have had them and some still do. If proper care was taken they will last a long time and are a Great Lakes fishing machine. They had different engines used in both the 19 and 21 ft. models. The 4 cly is a bit underpowered for the 21 but will still move it, however in the wind you may wish you had more power. The 6cly is best for the 21 but don't expect fantastic mileage when operating at more than 1/2 throttle. I suggest a kicker for trolling. Now since they are aluminum and sit high in the water they will blow around a bit under windy conditions compared to Fiberglas, but all in all they are usually a good buy and a super fishing machine....in my opinion anyway.

Here I am by my buddies boat in 2002....I think the pump price was around 49 to 52 cents back then!

6902fish.JPG

Edited by Garyv

I have the Princecraft version , called the corsica, have used it for Great lakes fishing for over 10 years now, always been a great boat , decent in rough water, but I agree with gettin a kicker with the price of gas these days...

I stuck a 4 stroke 9.9 on mine and can troll for hours for a few bucks compared to main engine,

Cheers,

Frost

Don looks like a solid boat for the great lakes but I think you'll have to ditch the Rav 4 and return to an F-150 maybe F-250.I think that salmon fishing on Lake O gave you the bug.

MTP

Hey Mike - the Rav 4 is rated at 3500Lbs towing ( 270 HP ) and I am thinking of the 19 footer - should pull it no problems! And you are right - between BOQ walleye and Lake O salmon/trout - I really got the bug!!!

Thanks for all the input guys - not going to happen over night - but the day is getting closer!

Does that mean that if I get one - I gotta change my board name again?!! - Just starting to get used to the Tracker name!

Don :Gonefishing::Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

I don't think the rav4 will pull that boat, you certainly won't stop! My friend has the 19 foot and it's a nice boat with a 100 inch beam, great on the water. He bought a trailblazer to pull the boat.

You could be right - boat and 3.0 L 135hp - weighs in at 3332 lbs.

The ones that I have been looking at have the 2.5 L chev motor - 120 hp.

Still - pretty darn close to the 3500 lb towing capacity!

http://www.starcraftmarine.com/?page=serie...p;section=specs

I may be mistaken - but I believe the trailblazer is rated at 3500 lbs. as well.

Thanks for the heads up

Don

Ya Don I can pull that with my 210hp Honda Odessey van but I don't have 4 wheel drive lauching that with FrontWD would be hell a little fishing gear and you will be over your tow limit.Stopping would be hell without breaks.

Do these trailers come with breaks?

I pull a 2600lbs tent trailer with my van it must be close to my 3500lb limit once she is loaded with stuff .Nice feature is it has brakes.A boat trailer like that must need to have breaks right?

125608.JPG

MTP :dunno:

Was planning on getting the Rav set up with electric breaks anyways - but now I at least know that I have to - Thanks Wayne for the insight!

I will not be towing it much more then a few times a year as it will be up north from early May till October - but it WILL be towed to BOQ in November - even if I have to borrow a truck to take it!

Don

Tracker,

I own a 2003 19' Islander and love the boat. It has the 4 cylinder, 3.0 litre, Mercruiser. Top end speed is around 42 mph but has more than enough power for recreational activities like water skiing or tubing. I primarily use the boat for fishing on lake Erie and Ontario (walleye and salmon). The boat is nice and deep to handle the big water on bumpy days, also very adequate cockpit space for downrigger fishing. Have to agree with the statement that the boat will drift on windy days, just not heavy enough as compared to a fiberglass boat. My daughter (who is 7) loves the fact that we have the cabin so when she gets tired she can lay down and get out of the sun, porta potti is a bonus feature as well for the ladies. At the time I made the purchase Starcraft stopped making the boat with an outboard versus the I/O (which they have currently started manufaturing again). But for the price I couldn't beat the boat I was getting. I pulled the boat with a 2003 extended Trailblazer (6 banger) and did not have any problems but it would dog on hills. Most of my travels to my port of choice were within an hour of my home but I would take at least (2) trips a year to Sturgeon Lake in the Kawartha's (departing from Buffalo, NY). I have recently upgraded to a Chevy Silverado 1500 and I can't even tell I am pulling anything. I actually will be leaving later this afternoon for Sturgeon for our holiday weekend, hope the eye fishing is on ............

its always better to tow with a vehicle that is rated up and over your max, dont forget the weight of the trailer, people in the vehicle and gear, fuel, gas is approx 10 lbs per gallon if i remember right? my boat weight was hull only as advertised by the manufacturer and did not include the motor and outdrive as they have different options and configurations so i had to re-evaluate the total weight as it sits now,even if your on the limit in weight one thing to think on about towing is that a 19ft boat on a trailer is going to be approx 24 feet long, get trucks passing you and some wind on the highway its gonna get a bit wobbly in the RAV IMHO, i towed a 4500# boat n trailer with a durango, weight was no issue but the swinging of the truck on the highway due to the short wheelbase was a concern, you may be able to do it but be safe

Cheers

I have had experienc with an Islander, it was 22fter nice boat to travel calm water. In the wind I found it hard to control. It is great on fuel if it a 4 Banger but with the canvas up it can very noisy inside,

Just my thoughts.........Larry