Rainy river soft water/from shore...

manitoubass2

Well after an unsuccessful attempt at launching the boat yesterday, i had it in my mind i was fishing today no matter what lol. Woke up at 4am and trekked to look at launches, still another day or two away. Launch on the American side is good though. So i decided to find a shore fishing spot. First spot was good to go, a shallow river bay. The walk down was good until the sun started heating up lol then i was in 2 feet of snow haha. Nice sunny conditions, about plus 5, maybe 10km winds from the east. Water is crystal clear. StRted to set up and d'oh, brought the wrong tackle box lol. Still some decent lures to try. I started out by casting raps and got two nice big birds nests right away! Awesome! After I came to my senses i could see a few pike chasing or turning but not hitting my super slow presentation. Tried to speed up and the wouldnt even look. Then i switched to a Johnson silver minnow and started getting good hits! Sooo good of a feeling:) got 5 good bites and landed all those, ranging from 30-35". Then before heading home for a quick snack, i see a bigger fish:) i cast to her a few times and finally get her to bite! After a good fish i get her to shore and just as i grab her out pops the hook. Nothing huge but a nice thick fish, pushing 40". Awesome morning. I'm heading back down in an hour, with the right gear plus the silver minnow lol. I'm hoping my kiddos will come so we can snap a few pics this time:) pretty tough to get selfies with pike haha. I'm just excited, so fun to be out casting again!!!

Its jealousy I'd kill for some open water

i hear ya man. I sat outside yesterday and watched the river for hours, just hoping to get out there. Its one of those times where you wanna throw every lure just because haha. I'm watchin a few American boats walleye fish right now. One guys is smart, he anchored his boat on the ice so he doesn't have to fight the current lol. 5 boats down there now. I thought there would be more Edited by manitoubass2

Well i only seen one more fish, she was a hearty beast but no take:) mid 40's id say. Was cool to see some youngens land a real nice sturgeon. They were stoked:). See. A few big ones jumping too, even they were enjoying the weather! I work nights this week so I'll be out there again all week :) man I'm sore though lol. Earl bedtime tonight from all that fresh air:)

Edited by manitoubass2

Wow, i live in the wrong part of ontario. I would take a 40 inch pike as my biggest for the year and be happy lol.

Hope to see some gator pics soon!

a few more days till I can get to the feeder creaks. Then I should be able to land a few beasts:) to be honest i was surprised to see those pike today in that location. And thanks! This area of ontario is fishing paradise:)