New drop shot rod build...

Garry2Rs

This is my new black and gold, 6 foot. 10 inch drop shot rod.

f7b3ea9f-a4b3-4e68-831d-7b36365f72a6_zps

For a slicker look, I cut off all the threads that were showing after the reel was mounted.

Yes, this is a little extreme...GRIN.

cefd1c72-6278-409e-8fa2-77e3b7d19258_zps

The handle was cut and paste from slices I cut from two blocks of cork. I have seen jigs for slicing cork rings and cutting them into wedges to make checkerboard patterns in rod handles. I wanted to get a feel for the labour, look, and longevity of this type of handle before committing to a purchase.

4f0a66a0-70f6-431c-bba5-0908365acc02_zps

Hey Gary, Awesome looking rod....

What colored blanks are those in the pic there? Looks awesome, i want to do a white one for my girlfriend and that white pearl is a sweet looking color.

And just wondering, Is that reel ever coming off the rod? Is that what you meant by cutting off all the threads after the reel was mounted?

One more question, i assume that you used the microwave guides on this rod, any experience with them, or is it your first build using them?

I was going to put those on my new crappie rod but wondering if its worth it or not....

Thanks

He has built with those guides already, and I have had the pleasure of using the rods. On a spinning rod they make an incredible difference, my next rod will have them. On a casting rod, they make a negligible difference, in my opinion.

Garry builds a nice rod, and is able to customize it to your specific needs. There are other builders here that are equal in quality and knowledge, speak with all of them and get the rod of your dreams.

He has built with those guides already, and I have had the pleasure of using the rods. On a spinning rod they make an incredible difference, my next rod will have them. On a casting rod, they make a negligible difference, in my opinion.

Garry builds a nice rod, and is able to customize it to your specific needs. There are other builders here that are equal in quality and knowledge, speak with all of them and get the rod of your dreams.

Thanks HTHM,

I think i will be putting the MicroWave Guides on the next build, they seem to have great reviews.

I have seen the talented rod builders on this site, and its exactly why i started to build my own....Not quite in the class of these builders but I'm getting better each time.

Its very fun, very addicting...maybe if my next build is worthy i'll post it here.

As other have said the Microwaves work very well.

There is no fore-grip on the black rod, so removing the reel is no problem.

However it is sized to perfectly fit a 1000 series Stradic.

To build a rod to only fit one specific reel is a bit extreme.

On the other hand, we will probably never run out of Stradic's...Grin.

There are a number of sources for white blanks. Mudhole, Batson, Bingham Enterprises, etc.

The coloured blanks in the picture are from Rodgeeks, a new company in New York state.

I think they co-own the factory, in Mexico, where St.Croix has some of their blanks made.

Rodgeeks just started offering blanks to the public.

Late last month they were a big hit at the International Custom Rob Builders show..

The fancy colours are $15.00 extra, unless you buy in quantity.

Check their web site for details. If you have any trouble decyphering the info PM me.

Should you decide to order, let me know.

I'm looking at stopping there on my way home.

Perhaps we can save on taxes and shipping etc.

Garry

Edited by garry2rs

As other have said the Microwaves work very well.

There is no fore-grip on the black rod, so removing the reel is no problem.

However it is sized to perfectly fit a 1000 series Stradic.

To build a rod to only fit one specific reel is a bit extreme.

On the other hand, we will probably never run out of Stradic's...Grin.

There are a number of sources for white blanks. Mudhole, Batson, Bingham Enterprises, etc.

The coloured blanks in the picture are from Rodgeeks, a new company in New York state.

I think they co-own the factory, in Mexico, where St.Croix has some of their blanks made.

Rodgeeks just started offering blanks to the public.

Late last month they were a big hit at the International Custom Rob Builders show..

The fancy colours are $15.00 extra, unless you buy in quantity.

Check their web site for details. If you have any trouble decyphering the info PM me.

Should you decide to order, let me know.

I'm looking at stopping there on my way home.

Perhaps we can save on taxes and shipping etc.

Garry

Sounds good Gary,

I'm going to check those blanks out and let you know...

Very interesting indeed.

Garry I have sent you a private message.....But I am a newbie here and that was my first attempt at a pm. So if you do answer it, and I do not respond, please come back here and say "HEY DOUGH-HEAD I ANSWERED YOUR NOTE! Thanks in advance.............

Doug

Doug...You have mail...grin.

To anyone else who has read this far, let me show you my re-worked red and white drop-shot rod...

ffbb9756-7e22-41cf-84ae-0669ce45621b_zps

I decided I didn't like the fish decal. I also felt that the old all white Microwave sticker would look better than the new red, white and blue, one on this rod.

e2d51e66-958d-49da-9259-ecd413edbea4_zps

Edited by garry2rs