Perch Fishing - Barrie ?

Governator

I was planning this weekend to hit cooks bay with a buddy but he has other plans, so instead I'm considering taking my 4 yr old out for his first shot at ice fishing. Knowing how quick he'd complain if I made him walk a half hour, I thought maybe here in Barrie would be just as productive with little walking needed.

Any tips on where to venture out from shore to hit some perch and if they are in reach within a short walk? I'm assuming the ice in the marina area would be darn thick and the fish have moved out.

I was planning this weekend to hit cooks bay with a buddy but he has other plans, so instead I'm considering taking my 4 yr old out for his first shot at ice fishing. Knowing how quick he'd complain if I made him walk a half hour, I thought maybe here in Barrie would be just as productive with little walking needed.

Any tips on where to venture out from shore to hit some perch and if they are in reach within a short walk? I'm assuming the ice in the marina area would be darn thick and the fish have moved out.

The ice is thick everywhere,I would suggest going near the ice hut operators.This past weekend was really slow.At least near them you would have a better chance of keeping him busy,if not maybe on the smaller size.Having said that these operators do not make a living on not catching anything.Good luck!!

i was at the waterfront a few weeks back, lots of small perch in 26fow, i only got a dozen or so, the bottom was filled with them but they wouldn't bite, got a bunch of smelt and lost a whitie loser to the evening, not the most productive area right now, id go to glford, tons of sinks there that bite nonstop the last few weeks has been fairly slow, considering cooks is usually nonstop but you don't have to walk out far and you should get at least a couple dozen fish, maybe even a pike or two.

Go about 200' out in front of the spirit catcher right downtown (should be roughly 24-28 feet) lots of perch around but not too big. May need to move a short distance every hour or so if the fish turn off under the hole, and I did get into herring every half hour or so the two times I fished there this winter. Good luck fishing whereever you decide to head out to!