Tying my fluoroleaders

ssauvain

yes u can, put a longer leader on, so u wont run out of line when cutting the line and switching baits...

Thanks that is what I was thinking about doing...it just seems that maybe a snap swivel would maybe make it easier..does this hurt the visibility factor though???

No visability problems for Musky!

If you use a swivel, it should be at the end closest to the main line. Use a good quality snap at the lure end- small as you can get away with.

I use 130 lb for 'Ski, 80 lb for Pike and Walleye where I fear pike bite-offs.

If you don't trust the snap swivels you can always just put another barrel swivel and then attach a split ring to the end.

Tying them works but the higher the tests you go the bigger and bulkier the knot will be, you might want to concider a crimping sleeve.

FHR

I'd go with at least 50lb test Fluorocarbon leader for pike, 10 or 12lb is fine for walleye but if you are afraid of being bitten off, you need the thicker stuff that the toothy critter will have a tough time biting through.

You can also use a Uni-Knot to attach the fluoro to the main line. Tying it without the swivel will allow you to reel the line through your guides without having to worry about reeling the swivel into the guides & damaging them.

Ok if I use a ball bearing swivel to attatch line to line...can I tie lures directly to the fluorleader? I will be using some spoons, crankbaits, jigs with spinners, etc, Thanks for help.

Use the smallest ball bearing or barrel swivel you can feel comfortable with to attach main line to leader, the use a small cross lock or stringeze snap to attach leader to lure. Visibilty factor is not an issue.

A 24 to 36" leader will suffice in most instances. Your leader should never be longer that the rod you are using.

Tight lines

John

I haven't found a crimp and crimping pliers that I feel comfortable with so I prefer to use a 'leader knot'- works well witht he heavier sizes....a dab of crazy glue keeps it snuged up.

Check with JB's in Rexdale, he has crimps, sleeves and crimping pliers available, as well as heavy Fluoro-carbon

John

I'd use the Seaguar knot to tie to the main line if you don't want to use a swivel. They make the stuff and know what knot works best. It's like the folks at PowerPro who say to use a Palomar knot. Like mrjr said, go check out JB's, they've pretty much got everything you need.