French River June 11th

bushy23

Hi all, I am heading up to the French June 11th for the first time. Just wondering what to expect for fishing and what the choice of bait or lure would be. The "S" bend is near where the camp is , if that helps. Any info or maps would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bushy

I've heard of the 'S' Curves, if this would be the area you are referring to. They are between Bear's Den (Fished from there a few times) and are on the way to the French River Lodge. The main area for me would be in the North-East part of Wanapitei Bay ... before the 'S' Curves.

Stop at the French River Trading post, just after you cross the Pickerel and French Rivers ... on your left-hand side going up Rt. 69. You can pick up a nice map of the entire French River area . It's red in color with the logo of the French River Heritage Park. Don't recall the price, but may be $15.00 or so.

See if this helps for the area you will be fishing. If It is, I may be able to help out a little more, with my experience up there.

Edited by Rich Clemens

The only camp on the lower French River where you have to take you boat through the "S" curve is the French River Lodge. Be very careful in that area of the French. I was up there last weekend and the water levels are very low exposing a few reefs that I have not seen in

many years. If you are taking you own boat, make sure the lodge boat meets you there the first time to take you thought it. Even though I know it, I have clipped my prop there occasionally when the water levels are lower.

If you are fishing for pike, my favourite area is Crombie Bay. For walleye, I like the Flat Rapids. Ask the dock guys or Joe Ott and they

will generally point you in the right direction where the bite is active. Dawyne usually hangs around the dock area and guides occasionally and is usually very helpfull.

Good luck on you trip.

Bill

Edited by wmshaw

For pike, mepps #5, xraps, spoons, spinnerbaits, Williams and just about anything you have they seen to hit

For Walleye, crankbaits, minnows, leeches are what I generally have had success on in the river.

For Bass, worms and leeches and most of the lures for pike and walleye catch them as well.

Edited by wmshaw

Bushy,

If you are fishing for smallmouth I recommend tender tubes with 1/4 oz. tender tube jigheads from Bass Pro, or any other 3 1/2 to 4 inch tubes. Flat rapids is a blast to fish with tubes or fast cranking Bandit 200 series crankbaits in the current. You will lose some lures.

For walleye you can troll up against the currents with crankbaits. The Bomber Long 15A or 16A in gold with orange belly work great. Make sure all lures are tuned. If you do not know how to tune a crankbait, the instructions are usually on the box.

My 3 brothers and I are fishing the Lower French July 14th, and then will be fishing the Upper French from July 15-18 out of Casa Blanca Lodge. Bryan the owner is great.

Have a good trip.

Don

PS: Fish the Wanapetei Bay islands once you come out past the French River Lodge in to the Main Channel of the French, about 1/2 mile after turning right. The islands and shoals just past Crombie Bay are good for smallmouth also. You can troll the back side of Crombie Bay in 8-10 feet of water with the Long A Bombers or with jig spinners #6 size with a 1/16 to 1/8 ounce jighead with a 3 inch white or pumpkin/chartreuse Berkley Power Grub for pike, walleye, or smallmouth. And occasional Musky.

At the time I was fishing the Wanapitie (out of Bear's Den), may primary lures were spoons and some larger spinner baits. This was quite a few years ago and there are a lot of nice new baits on the water. On the spoons, I would attach a 4 or 5 inch twister tail. The last time we were there, I landed my PB pike out of the weeds at 37 1/2 inches using a spinner bait. The very next day, just a short distance away, my step-son landed a 37" Northern, also on a spinner bait. I'll even add a twister tail to the spinner bait. On other bodies of water, I've had some some good success with the 1 oz. Cyclops for pike. Never fished for Walleye in my life, nor have I ever fished for Bass on the French, so I can't help you much there.

DO heed wmshaw's advice on the French, unless you are certain of where you are going and what is under your boat, travel carefully and always keep an eye out. I've not damaged a prop YET, but know plenty of folks who have. The last time we were there, I was running through what I thought would be a channel ... out of nowhere came a large shoal. Fortunately I was going slow enough we saw it in time to raise the motor, but the bottom of the boat did scape a bit. After a while of running the water, I got comfortable as to where I can move along and I always use a little caution when exploring a new area.

See what you can find out about your location and we'll go from there.

Oh yeah ... please do post a report and some pics when you get back.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I would also see if the lodge could get you a guide to go down to Georgian Bay. The fishing there is great but the trip though the

rapids and scenery of the Bay is the icing on the cake. I fished the bay last weekend and we had a great time. Caught many pike (we were mainly targeting pike), a couple of walleye, some oos bass and a nice musky. The season on the Bay opened May 1 for pike and walleye. The best part of the trip with a guide is the shore lunch. Under no circumstance should you attempt to go down to the Bay without a guide as the final two rapids are very dangerous and difficult to negotiate unless you know them well. Good luck on your trip.

Bill