A very slow Victoria Day in Rice Lake ><

Steelcat

Arrived at the dock at around 6am. The wind was calm, the lake was like a mirror, and the seaweeds were all grown up :P After getting the boat, we immediately head out to our fishing spots. To our surprise, there weren't too many boats around. At first, we were using huskie jerkbait. After 2 hours of drifting, I was able to catch a Crappie, and my brother caught a out of season Largemouth bass both with the jerkbait. We then decided to head to deeper waters, same as usual, we drift all over the place and we switch our lure to jig and grub. There were totally no action, until my brother caught a 12 inches Walleye in 12 feet of water. 3 hours passed with no action (no action from boats around us as well), we decided to head to another spot where there were shallow water and deep drop offs. Once again I caught a Crappie and that's it. Seem to me all the fish stopped feeding or became very alert after the cold front and the sunny sky. One funny thing was that the wind direction kept on changing, at one point we were actually drifting in circle. At 1:30pm, we finally gave up and head back to shore. After parking the boat, we saw tons of Sunfish and Perch swimming happily around the dock, we threw in our small minnow like lure, but they were not bitting except one. Right before we pack up our stuff, I dropped my lure into the water, then I saw several huge Carp swam close to my lure, then my rod bended hard, but after two second, it got back to normal. I think one of the Carp accidentally sucked my lure but since I wasn't really concentrating on my line, the Carp spit out the hook. Overall it was a fishing that has no action, but it's always better than going to school or work ;)

A very hungry Crappie

P5211393a.jpg

The only Sunfish that took my lure (fishing from the dock)

P5211394a.jpg

wow least you where out on a boat. I can't remember when was the last time I did a boat rental with the prices up at $90 bucks per day. Last time I did a rental it was $45 bucks.

Too bad you missed the carp.

dsn

Sorry to hear that your day was not productive. I was up as well for the weekend and we caught 17 walleye in 2 days and thought the fishing was really good. We were in a different area of the lake but the winds were weird for sure.