CooK Bay report: opener and 19th

Woohoo, I finally figured out how to get a pic in my post. So here we go, for the pike opener my brother in-law and I decided to hit Cooks. We arrived at Harry's by 7am and the lines were in the water by 730am. The wind, chop, and temps, sure made it a bit of a challenge, but our perseverence was rewarded. Here is our first pike of the season.

100_3854.jpg

By 9am we had 4 in the box, by 10am 6, and the livewell (never mind the floater) is starting to swell,

100_3855.jpg

By 3pm we were 8/8. The largest was 8lbs, three 7.5 lbers, and the others ranged from 4-5.5 lbs.

100_3860.jpg

After 3pm the bite came to a halt, so at 5pm we decided to troll back, and by 6pm the boat was back on its trailer. It sure felt great to be back on the softwater, everything worked, the motor started on the first turn, nothing broke, and we had a feast that evening. Also hooked into a nice 4 lb smallie, however it had several large black blotches on it. Sure hope its not that disease thats invaded the great lakes.

Got back home by 8pm and it was time to unload the boat and examine our wares.

100_3865.jpg

In keeping with our tradition, we like to have a little fish fry while we are fileting the fish.

100_3866.jpg

The result

100_3847.jpg

The grand finally

100_3872.jpg

Saturday May 19th

My brother in-law and myself, had another opportunity to hit cooks and get into some more pike action. After the openner, I was very eager to give it another shot. I used to consider Couch. more or less my stomping grounds, and my fav. body of water, but now, I am starting to like Cooks more and more. It definately helps that it cuts my travel time by and hour. We launched at Harry's, as we're getting into the lake, I realized I had forgot the net. I guess we are going to have to land anything by hand, at least we had those fish handling gloves. Had our lines in by around 7am, and had our first hit within 5 minutes...lost that one. Next hit 10 min. later, lost that one too. Uh Oh, no net, and no fish yet, well lets see. 30 min. later, next hit...this one get landed and its a decent 5 lb pike. Great, no skunk, and no hooks or pike teeth in the fingers. I noticed that compared to last week, the water temps warmed about 2-3 degrees, depending on the area. By 11am, the bite really slowed down, so we explored a bit with no results. By 2 we called it quits, and went home to enjoy the rest of the day, with family and friends, and enjoy our fresh fish fry. We ended the day, with 4 pike. The weather was great too. Hope you all had a great weekend.

051907.jpg

By the way, I filleted these pike using the 5 fillet method which I learned from a video I saw on the net. I modified it slightly into 6 fillets, and for the first time I we had boneless pike fillets. So for those of you who don't like to eat pike because of the bones, try this method out, and enjoy what is IMO one of the best tasting of our fresh water fish.

Edited by Tackle Buster