Can I Bring Son In Law fishing this season...?

Black_Blade

I would like to be able to take my son in law out fishing this season, but thing is-he is from Virginia and is has been up here now for 2 years now...has filed all the paperwork for immigration, but it still has yet to go thru, although he must be close now! He can't 'officially' work, so looks after their 2 kids while my daughter holds down a full time job.

Just wondering if anybody might be able to shed any light on whether or not there is a way to have him do a bit of fishing. He said that his dad took him once when he was a kid for about an hour and that was it. An American that has never fished...who has ever heard of such a thing! :blink:

He said that his dad didn't have the patience, since its nutty down there to go out fishing...the lakes are jam packed with fishermen etc and the fish are way too pressured for the average person. sounds like need to take his dad to some of the nice quiet lakes here in Ontario....:)

Black Blade

Let's face facts - everyone and anyone can go and pay the non-resident fees and go fishing. So why post unless there is something hidden here or not stated.

Because of what you have stated in your post, there is another way. You do not have to go the non-resident route.

I am assuming that you are not expecting to find a way to fish for free but will pay Ontario resident fishing fees. I am not writing this to help your son in law beat the system and pay nothing because "He can't 'officially' work".

If your primary residence is in Canada and you have lived in Canada for a at least 6 consecutive months during the previous 12 months immediately before buying a licence, you can buy a resident fishing licence in Ontario.

The above should be right at the beginning of the Ontario Fishing Regulations.

carp-starter

Until you get your landed immigrant status, you are not eligible to have employment, unless of course you buy a work visa for about $1500. They can't afford that, so have to wait it out.. I didn't think he would be eligible to get a resident licence, since he is not officially a resident until he gets the landed immigrant status.

Not looking for any way around anything and not inserting any subliminal messages either, just curious and you never know....somebody who reads this thread may have been down the same path and could put up some info. As with all posts, I appreciate any help given.

If he has an address in Ontario he is considered to be a resident! It is stated in the regs as so. I believe that to be technical he may have to prove to the ministry that he has held an Ontario residence for one year.

I had a German student last year in one of the classes I was teaching at that time. He was here on a student visa and held a Hamilton address. The guy in Fishing World got ticked at him for wanting to buy a non-resident license since he had a Hamilton address. He was given the resident conservation license.

Edit:

From the regs.

What is the definition of a resident of Ontario?

A resident of Ontario is defined as a person whose primary residence is in Ontario and who has lived in Ontario for a period of at least six consecutive months during the 12 months immediately before applying for a licence or using a licence.

Also this:

What is the definition of a resident of Canada?

A resident of Canada is defined as a person whose primary residence is in Canada and who has lived in Canada for a period of at least six consecutive months during the 12 months immediately before applying for a licence or using a licence.

SO there lies the answer as spelled out in black and white. Your son-in-law may enjoy fishing in Ontario because although not a true landed immigrant he is lawfully considered a resident

Edited by pikehunter