Hitch installed by undisclosed company

We finally have a tow vehicle. Last Thursday we picked up a 2003 Mazda Tribute. I had booked an appointment to have a hitch installed for Saturday at 1pm. I'm not going to name the company because I don't wan't the post removed and it's not my intent to bad mouth the company in public....just telling my story.

I had this same company install a hitch on my mini-van 4 years earlier and had to return 3 times because they first ordered the wrong hitch and then forgot to order the wiring. I reluctantly decided to give them another chance knowing that the staff had most likely since changed.

On my way there they called me to tell me the appointment had to be pushed back to 3pm because the installer would not be in until then. I had hoped on attending the Stoney Creek Lions Fish derby at 50 Point with my 6 year old daughter but due to the appointment, couldn't attend. Had I known earlier, we could have attended the derby. :wallbash:

I dropped the vehicle off at 3pm and returned around 5pm to pick it up. They were still working on it which was expected. I had decided against voicing my opinion about the change in appointment times until the employee called me over to point out I had a nail in my tire. Keep in mind I only had the vehicle 2 days. While they finished the job, I walked around their parking lot and noticed numerous nails. :wallbash:

I decided I needed to let them know of my displeasure. I told them about my past experience and that I felt I should be compensated for the inconvenience. I thought they may throw in the ball or drawbar free of charge.

The employee and manager heard me out but were in a hurry to go home for the day. The manager told me to go around to the front desk and she would meet me there. She never did. Instead she sent her employee to deal with it. When I got there, the employee drew up the bill and showed me the normal cost would be $370 after taxes. He then circled what I was being billed.........$107.00. :thumbsup_anim:

They knocked off $263.00 and essentialy charged me for the wiring only. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised and told them "I wasn't expecting that".

I left a happy camper.

Two days later I went to have the tire plugged and after removing the nail found there was no hole. Perfect! :thumbsup_anim:

That same day, my wife pointed out one of the tail lens had a 1 inch piece missing out of it.....I know this happened while they installed the wiring. :wallbash:

Two days later they called me and asked if I was planning on bringing my vehicle in to have the hitch installed! :wallbash:

Unbeleivable how one company can make so many mistakes with one job.

Yikes...

There are so many companies competing for your business out there, why take a chance with a company with known failures in the past?

Hopefully you learned your lesson this time. :oops:

Tony

You may want to crawl under you Tribute to make sure they tightened the bolts

If I may add, check if if you have a bolts at all ( you know, duct tape is pretty strong and cheap), just to compensate for your bill.

With your "experience" with this company I would not to tow even garbage can without checking the hitch by a pro.

Sorry for the pun but the fish generally stinks from the head! Owner/Manager typically sets the tone and the rythym of any business.

I would absolutely either check the install myself or have it inspected elsewhere.

I have been burned once a few times but never twice once...........

John...