Engine trouble.....

Sinker

Well, not really. I've lost reverse gear. Forward works fine, neutral is there, but reverse grinds. The prop spins, but seems like its not engaging fully. Could this be a shift linkage issue, or you think I've wrecked some gearing inside the lower unit??

Really bad time of year for me to have no engine!! My favourite time of year to be on the water!

Its a 96, 40hp mariner, longshaft, tiller. If anyone has, or knows of a lower unit for this, please let me know!!

S.

Not sure about your particular engine but I had a similar problem with a 25 hp Johnson. Shifter linkage had slipped and reverse gear wasn't fully engaging.

Hopefully the grinding you are hearing is simply because the gears aren't meshing fully. You'll often hear the same sound if you try to egage forward or reverse if the r.p.m. is a little too high.

In my case it was just a matter of a minor adjustment and all was good.

Good luck.

kwikfish.

Edited by kwikfish

Take out the lower drain plug and look for metal particles in the oil.
If you do, it's time to take it apart and fix it. May be less to repair than to replace the unit asembly.

It's possible as was mentioned that the shift linkage may need to be repaired too.